Malankara World Journal Issue 157 - Shunoyo - Assumption of St. Mary - Special Edition

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2013
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 157 - Shunoyo - Assumption of St. Mary -
      Special Edition - (August 13, 2013) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 157
      Shunoyo - Assumption of St. Mary - Special Edition

      1. Foreword

      Shunoyo (Dormition) of the Theotokos is an important feast of our church.
      The word 'Dormition' means 'falling asleep'. It is an idiom for a
      believer's death. The feast is celebrated on August 15. This feast is
      called the Assumption in the western churches. The feast commemorates the death, and glorification of the Virgin Mary, Christ's mother. ...

      2. Bible Readings for Shunoyo (August 15)

      Bible Readings for Shunoyo
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_shunoyo.htm

      3. Sermons for Shunoyo (August 15)

      Sermons for Shunoyo
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_shunoyo.htm

      4. Ascension vs. Assumption

      There is an important difference between the ascension of Jesus into Heaven after His Resurrection, and the assumption of Mary. To ascend is to rise up under one's own power; while to be assumed means something that is done to one. Jesus, being the Second Person of the Trinity, had no need of assistance; whereas Mary did not have this power. ...

      5. Featured: Assumption (Dormition) of St. Mary by HH Zakka I Iwas,
      Patriarch of Antioch and All The East

      The virgin longed to ascend to heaven to join her son Jesus. Her dormition was in peace. The date of her death and how old she was have always been a controversial issue among historians. Most probably that was in AD 56 when she was seventy. Her Assumption in the flesh and soul was not instituted by the Syrian Church as a doctrine. The Virgin's Assumption is a confessional patristic tradition based on the Syriac narrative of Apostle Thomas. ...

      6. Dormition of Virgin Mary

      When the light went away, and at the same time with the light itself, the soul of the blessed virgin Mary was taken up into heaven with psalms, and hymns, and songs of songs. And as the cloud went up the whole earth shook, and in one moment all the inhabitants of Jerusalem openly saw the departure of St. Mary. ...

      7. The Assumption/Dormition: Mystery of Mary, Meaning of Life

      On August 15 in the Western Church we celebrate the great Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Most of our Eastern Christian brethren acknowledge the same great event on this Feast, calling it the "Dormition of the Mother of God." Some join us in the celebration today and others, following another Calendar, commemorate in just a few days. ...

      8. Mary's Assumption Into Heaven is the Mystery of the Passover of Christ Fully Realized in Her - Pope Benedict XVI

      To understand the Assumption we must look to Easter, the great mystery of
      our salvation, which marks the passage of Jesus to the glory of the Father
      through the passion, death, and resurrection. Mary, who gave birth to the
      Son of God in the flesh, is the creature who is most deeply inserted in
      this mystery, redeemed from the first moment of her life, and associated in
      a special way with the passion and glory of her Son. Thus, Mary's
      Assumption into heaven is the mystery of the Passover (Pasqua) of Christ
      fully realized in her. She is intimately united to her risen Son, victor
      over sin and death, fully conformed to him. But the Assumption is a reality
      that touches us too because it points to our destiny in a luminous way, the
      destiny of humanity in history. In Mary, in fact, that reality of glory to
      which each of us and the whole Church is called. ...

      9. Assumption Homily

      In a sense, the Assumption of the Mother of God is the liturgy of her Great
      Entrance; the feast of her oblation in the heavenly sanctuary, "the
      tabernacle, which the Lord hath pitched, and not man" (Heb 8:2). She is the
      Mother of Holy Hope. She is given to us to be our strongest comfort, to be
      the anchor of our souls, "sure and firm, and which entereth in even within
      the veil" (Heb 6:18-19). ...

      10. On The Dormition Feast & Fast

      The feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos is the celebration of the fact
      that all men are "highly exalted" in the blessedness of the victorious
      Christ, and that this high exaltation has already been accomplished in Mary
      the Theotokos. The feast of the Dormition is the sign, the guarantee, and
      the celebration that Mary's fate is, the destiny of all those of "low
      estate" whose souls magnify the Lord, whose spirits rejoice in God the
      Saviour, whose lives are totally dedicated to hearing and keeping the Word
      of God which is given to men in Mary's child, the Saviour and Redeemer of
      the world. ...

      11. Hymn: Mary Crowned With Living Light

      12. Hymn: The Ark which God has Sanctified

      13. Hymn: Dhanye - Mathave

      14. Malankara World Shunoyo Supplement

      Please visit Malankara World Shunoyo Supplement to learn more about St.
      Mary - nativity, life, death etc. You can find prayers of intercession,
      homilies, articles etc. too. Find it here:
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Shunoyo/Default.htm

      Also see Malankara World Journal Shunoyo Special in 2012 - Issue 90 (August
      14, 2012)
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWNews_90.htm

      15. About Malankara World

      ========================

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal
      online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew