LORDS PRAYER -2

  • MONSY JACOB
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2013
      2.  NETH-QADASH SHMOKH /
      Hallowed be thy name

      To hallow Godss name means to
      hold it in reverence; hence to hold him in reverence, to honor, glorify, and
      exalt him. We know that the heaven and the earth are filled with His glory;
      then how can His name be more glorified?

      We hallow God's name in many ways:

      1. When our motive is Christ-centered.

      The people of Babel when building the tower said, “Let us make a name for
      ourselves” Genesis 11:4. Their intention was self glorification. This is more
      emphasized in St. Gregory Nizanzian’s oration on priesthood when he said, the
      bishop should not talk about good things he did, but only lament about the good
      things he could not do.

      2. When others see Christ's image in us

      When we show our father's traits and qualities we hallow his name. God the
      Father said through David; “I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are
      children of the most High”. (Psalms 82: 6). This is only possible when we
      reflect His love, acting as spotless mirrors to reflect God’s love and
      righteousness by our actions/abstinences. An example would be like this:-
      Imagine that Ian is the son of Adrian. When Ian leads an honorable life, the
      name of Adrian; his father will be honored. If Ian claims to be Adrian’s son
      but is an alcoholic sleeping in the streets or is a cheat, his father’s name
      will be in disgrace.

      3. When we preach to ourselves and to others about our Father in heaven

      It was pleasing for God the Father that His only begotten Son be crushed. God
      the Son was obedient to the death on the cross. God the Son gave us one command:
      - to tell the entire world the gospel that Jesus is arisen from the tomb. In
      all our interactions to others we are obliged to talk about salvation to all
      and any. We need to divert our talk from secular thoughts to salvation through
      the cross; because of Father’s love. Then His name will be hallowed.
      Mother Theresa was given a reception by Government of India after receiving the
      Nobel Prize for peace. In her speech immediately after introduction, she talked
      about the source of her inspiration, Jesus. She was not ashamed of talking
      about her savior in front of the secular audience unlike our modern day church
      leaders who would not talk about Jesus even in front of Christians.
      4. When we do homework.
      If we are believers, we are progressing towards God; towards His
      likeness.  If my destination is the Whitehouse
      and I am traveling towards it, after each hour I should be nearer to it.  When I lie down in bed for my night sleep, I
      should do my homework and find out if I am progressing towards the great light
      Jesus; if my nature is progressing to His nature.  I should find where I am failing and
      reconcile with my savior. The
      love of the Father is hallowed through Jesus. The love of the Father and Son is
      hallowed through each one of us. The earth became cursed because of man’s sin.
      Through Jesus humanity is saved. Through us all creations are to be saved. We
      pray, “the one sacrifice for the salvation and life of all creations” (“srishty
      okkeyudeyum jeevanum rakshakum vendy baliyai theerna”).
      Dn. Monsy Manimalethu Jacob
    • Vatachal Thomas John
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2013
        I submit that the English words HALLOWED BE  may not be sufficient to convey the meaning of the  Syriac word NETHQADAAS  just as Hail Mary vis-a-vis SLOM LEK MARYAM. The Good News Bible has discarded HAIL and put it as PEACE BE WITH YOU.

        I have the story of two I A S officers. They met with at an airport waiting hall  The  senior officer was coming out of the toilet and the other was about to enter the toilet ."I will wait for you"said the senior.When the junior came out of the toilet, the senior asked him " Have you, inside the toilet done  anything which will cause the glorifiction of the name of God by the next man using using the toilet  ? "  The junior was dumbfounded and after some time he pleaded with the senior to explain what he meant.

        The senior explained as follows

                If and when a person in a public place  wants to relieve himself he will have to look for a nearby       public toilet . When he finds one, he will mutter to himself: DAM IT ! I will womit my last meal if I go inside that HELL !!  When he enters the toilet if he finds the toilet clean and tidy, he will exclaim  GLORY TO MY LORD AND GOD ! IT IS CLEAN AND TIDY !!  He will use the toilet and then he by the urge of his conscience clean the toilet restoring its cleanliness. If this cleaning continues as an unbroken chain reaction every one entering the toilet will glorify the Lord unknowingly.

        The junior immediately went back into the toilet and came out with GLEAMING FACE and the senior received him with a TWINKLE in his eyes

        I think I need not explain it further.   Let us pray NETHQADAAS SMOK. and ensure that whatever we do will made others glorify God.

        V T Joyn  ID 3085