Malankara World Journal Issue 155 Transfiguration Special

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2013

      The Malankara World Journal Issue 155 Transfiguration Special (August 4, 2013) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 155
      Special Edition: Transfiguration

      1. Foreword

      The experience itself draws heavily on Old Testament images and symbols. Fire and cloud, as well as corresponding metaphors of light and wind, were common Old Testament ways of describing the presence of God. ...

      2. Bible Readings for Transfiguration (August 6)

      Bible Readings For The Festival of Transfiguration/Koodaara Perunnal
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_Transfiguration.htm

      3. Sermons for Transfiguration (August 6)

      Sermons on Transfiguration
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_Transfiguration.htm

      4. Inspiration for Today: Suggested Approach to Prayer

      This is a suggested approach to Prayer based on the experiences undergone by Peter, John and James at Mount Tabor during Transfiguration. We need a step by step process during prayer; getting more and more into meditation and contemplation as the prayer progresses.

      5. Featured: The Transfiguration - It Is Good For Us To Be Here (Pope Francis)

      We are all tempted to put ourselves at the centre, to think that we alone build our lives or that our life can only be happy if built on possessions, money, or power. But it is not so. Certainly, possessions, money and power can give a momentary thrill, the illusion of being happy, but they end up possessing us and making us always want to have more, never satisfied. ...

      6. Inexpressible Joy: Meditation on the Transfiguration

      In using the symbolism associated with the Feast of Tents, Luke conveys something of the mystery of God's presence made visible in the transfigured Jesus. Peter's notion to build three booths-one for Jesus, one for Moses, and one for Elijah-gave voice to the deeper reality of his desire to prolong, to celebrate, and to mark the great moment of Jesus' transfiguration. What did Peter and his companions hear on the mountain that day? What did they see? ...

      7. On the Feast of the Transfiguration: A Meditation on Seeing

      The Feast of the Transfiguration is about vision. Have you seen the glory of Christ? Have you glimpsed God's glory? Have you looked across to the other shore? It is so essential for us to have this experience! Otherwise the discouragements and disappointments of life can easily overwhelm us. Only when we glimpse the glory and experience the joy of God can we truly say, by experience that our sufferings are more than worth it; That the sufferings of this world cannot even been compared to the glory that waits (Rom 8:18); that our momentary afflictions are producing for us a weight of eternal glory beyond compare (2 Cor 4:17).  ...

      8. Seeing Things in a New Light

      The experience of the three disciples seeing Jesus transfigured changed their way of looking at Jesus, and it also changed the way they saw God. It even transfigured their view of human kind. Oh, that we, too, might see clearly in the light of God's Shekinah glory. Their view of Jesus was changed. ...

      9. The Mystery of Transfiguration

      The Mystery of the Transfiguration was a matter of intense reflection on the part of the Fathers. Remember that this takes place some eight days after the Lord confers the keys on Peter by the Jordan at Caesarea Philippi. The Fathers thought everything in Scripture was significant and they attached great meaning to numbers. ...

      10. What Is Heaven Really Like?

      Wings and halos. Robes and harps. Sitting on clouds. Being greeted by St. Peter at the pearly gates: These are the images of heaven we get from movies, TV, and newspaper cartoons. Silly as they are, the ideas behind these images can seep into our consciousness and affect the way we think of heaven. ...

      11. Poem: Look at the Lord by Shirley Chacko

      12. Recipe: Kiwi, Orange and Apple Smoothie

      13. Family Special: Marriage Saving Tips

      What to Do if Your Spouse is Having an Affair? Marriage Expert Outlines 4 Ways to Reconcile Your Relationship (If You're Still Interested) ...

      14. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World