Malankara World Journal Issue 153 - Theme: Church - (July 25, 2013)

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2013
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 153 - Theme: Church - (July 25, 2013) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 153
      Theme: Church

      1. Foreword

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (July 28)
      Tenth Sunday after Pentecost
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_10th_sunday-after-pentecost.htm

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (July 28)
      Sermons for Tenth Sunday After Pentecost
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_10th-sunday-after-Pentecost.htm

      4. Genealogy of The Word 'Church'
      In the Bible the word "church" never refers to a building or to worship services held within the building. It always refers to the assembly, group, or congregation of called-out ones who belong to the Lord, worship Him, and fellowship with others of the same mind. ...

      5. Featured: Orthodox Church: House of God - One Body And One Spirit
      The house of God is the Holy Church, the Kingdom of God on earth, which the Lord Jesus established on earth when he began his economy of salvation in the flesh calling people saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent and believe in the good news" (Mark 1:15). ...

      6. The Role of Laity in Orthodox Church
      Firstly, the very least that any laypeople who call themselves Orthodox can do, is to come to services, to support their local church in presence and prayer. At many services parishes churches are half-empty. And once at church, people should not stand passively. They should pray. ...

      7. The Church of the Living God
      God loves the church. He has great plans for the church. And even though we have failures and problems, God still loves the church. He will never abandon the church as His way of reaching & influencing the world, & nor should we. My text today calls the church, "the church of the living God." Our God is called "the living God" some 30 times in Scripture. He is not a dead idol. He is real, & very much alive, and His church should be a living, vibrant force for good in this world. ...

      8. A Serving Church
      Maybe sometime after the death and resurrection of Christ the disciples would look back and remember that evening when Jesus' washed their feet. Maybe they looked back upon that action with a greater and deeper appreciation for the fact that "the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45). The greatest act of serving others occurred when the Son of God came to earth, stooping low to conquer our sins by dying on the cross for our salvation. ...

      9. Peter's Confession
      Jesus himself told Pontius Pilate, "My kingdom does not belong to this world" (John 18:36). Yet, he sent the Apostles in his name, telling them to announce, "The kingdom of God is at hand for you" (Luke 10:9). Yes, the kingdom of Jesus is not an earthly, temporal kingdom. It is an eternal kingdom, a kingdom without end, one not bound by time and place. His kingdom, his reign, extends beyond that of Israel. ...

      10. What Does the Bible Say About Church Membership and Attendance?
      A branch that is detached from the vine quickly withers and dies and is only good for the burn pile. If it remains attached to the vine it continues to be fed, nourished, thrive, and most importantly it bears fruit. Apart from the vine, the branch can not ever produce fruit. The analogy is that a church member detached from the vine, that is the church that Jesus Christ built, can not grow and produce fruit. ...

      11. Health: Potential Cause of Depression Identified
      A protein involved in synaptic structure has been identified as a potential cause of depression, a finding that according to researchers has "enormous therapeutic potential for the development of biomarkers and novel therapeutic agents." ...

      12. Recipe: Orange and Spinach Salad

      13. Family Special: When God Hides From US
      The ups and downs of pastoral ministry are echoed in Psalm 13. Among the delights of praise, we hear a litany of despair. Where is God when one of us gets a bad report from the doctor? Where is God when a marriage breaks under the stress of unemployment? Where is God when a spouse dies? ...

      14. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World