The TEN COMMANDMENTS

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15 9:19 AM
      The TEN COMMANDMENTS OF GOD = DAIVATHINTE PATHTHU KALPANAKAL = ESSRO PUKHDONE D`AALOHO

      WE read the Ten Commandments of God in Ex.20: 1-17 and also in Deut 5: 1-21. The reformulated commandments – the Greatest Commandments, as stated by the Head of the Prophets, the Great Moses, are there in Deut 6:4 read with Lev. 19:18. In Mt.22:37 and in Mk.12:30 & 31 we see that our Lord Jesus Christ restated these two greatest commandments evidently quoting from Deut 6:4 read with Lev. 19:18. In Lk.10:27 we see that a Jewish teacher of law restates these two greatest commandments on being prompted by our Lord Jesus Christ.. There is a false notion that the Greatest Commandments are given by our Lord during the time of his incarnaation as as Yessu Messiho. In fact the two greatest commandments are already in the Old Testament.

      2....Now let me go back to the Ten Commandments. The Roman Catholics teach the Ten Commandments differently even though in the POC Bible published by the Roman Catholic Church the verses Ex.20: 1-17 and also Deut. 5: 1-21 are similar to those in the the Holy Bibles published by others which include our Syriac Orthodox Church. The difference in their teaching is with regard to the 1st and 2nd Commandments which states as follows:

      (1) ....I am the LORD your God. Worship no god but Me
      (2) ....Do not make for yourselves images of anything in Heaven or on Earth
      or in the water. Do not bow down to any idol or worship it because I am
      the LORD your God and I tolerate no rivals

      { These are quotes from Good News Bible (vide Ex.20-1-6) shorn off
      words which are unnecesary for this article. I am not aware the exact
      wordings in the Malayalam Bible translation from Latin Bible}

      3...In their teachings they completely omit the 2nd Commandment as quoted above and fill up the blanks by the words “ Worship no God but Me” This is in fact a bifurcation of the 1st Commandment into Commandment No.1 and No.2 and deletion of the above 2nd Commandment.

      4...Very recently I have come across the Ten Commandment published in the Thakso D`mawdyonootho ( Kumbasarakramam) which forms part of the Book of Offices from Baptism to the Prayer to Bless the articles such dress etc., left over by any deceased [ The book is popularly known as Aniede Pusthakam ] To my utter astonishment the first and second Cummandments are given as indicated in para 3 above.

      5...I would like to give a transliteration of the Commandment No.1 and No.2 as they appear in Syriac in the Aaneede Pusthakam as follows:-

      (1) Eano (Ea)no Moryo Aalohok = Njan thanne ninte daivamaaya karthaavu

      (2) Lo Nehvoon Lok Aalohaain Ahraneen = Ninakku anya daivangal untaayirikkaruthu

      5...It is for the theologians and the fathers of our Church to explain how our Church happened to adopt the controversial bifurcation of the first commandment into first and second commandments and the deletion of the second commandment.

      Yours in Him

      V T John
      ID 3085