why fishers instead of shepherds

  • MONSY JACOB
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12 10:20 AM
      The Old Testament leaders were shepherds. Abraham and the
      patriarchs, David and many others were shepherds. When Jesus ordained the disciples, he wanted them to be fishermen.And He said unto them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.� (Matthew 4:19)

      Why is this change? In Old Testament, the covenant was only between God and Abraham; between God and the circumscribed. The law given through Moses was also for a special people, the Hebrews. The shepherds tend to the sheep. They do not accept other animals in the herd.

      But in Christ an anointed become a fisherman. If you are not a fisher, you are not following Him. The fisherman cast his
      net and gathers all fish on its way. They do not discriminate between one kinds of fish. Any one in Christ is a new creation. Hence our Lord gave them only one commission; a great commission.�Then Jesus came to them and said, All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

      Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you�always, to the very end of the age.(Matt 28 :18-20)

      Beloved in Christ, it was the repenting, crying Peter who was accepted by Jesus; not the one who would cut the servant of the
      high priest. A broken and contrite heart�you, God, will not despise said David.

      Have not we lost our mission and the great commission for at least a century?

      Dn. Monsy Manimalethu Jacob