Our Daily Bread: Bouncing Back

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2013
      READ: 1 John 1:5 - 2:2

      If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9
      On January 18, 2012, the longest winning streak in US intercollegiate
      varsity sports history 252 consecutive victories ended when Trinity
      College lost a squash match to Yale. The morning after the team's first
      loss in 14 years, Trinity's coach, Paul Assaiante, received an e-mail
      from a friend, a prominent professional football coach, who wrote,
      Well, now you get to bounce back. Ten days later, that football
      coach’s team lost in one of the most widely seen athletic events—the NFL Super Bowl. All of us must cope with defeat.
      The feeling of failure after an athletic loss mirrors our greater
      self-condemnation following a spiritual collapse. How can we recover
      from grieving God and others, along with disappointing ourselves? The
      apostle John wrote, If we say that we have no sin, we deceive
      ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is
      faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all
      unrighteousness� (1 John 1:8-9). God forgives us because Jesus Christ
      paid the price for our sins (2:2).
      God's pardon sets us free to begin again and focus on today's opportunity
      rather than yesterday's defeat. His faithful cleansing allows us to
      start over with a pure heart. Today, God invites and enables us to
      bounce back. —David McCasland
      When you've trusted Jesus and walked His way,
      When you've felt His hand lead you day by day,
      But your steps now take you another way,
      Start over. —Kroll
      Instead of living in the shadows of yesterday, walk in the light of today and the hope of tomorrow.
      Bible in a year: Job 20-21 & Acts 10:24-48