Perumpally Thirumeni’s Hymns in Syrian Orthodox Liturgy

  • elias
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2013
      Perumpally Thirumeni's Hymns in Syrian Orthodox Liturgy

      There are many beautiful hymns written by Late Lamented Perumpallil Thirumeni which we are now using in our Liturgy and St.Mary intercessory prayers. Most of the people in our church are not aware that the author is Perumpallil Thirumeni.

      I would like to say that these songs should be included in "Kurbana Kramam" published by Udayagiri Seminari and all other church publications with a reference to the author Ghevarughese Mor Gregarious Perumpallil.

      It is very nice to see that Indian Orthodox Church choirs also singing Thirumeni's songs in St.Mary intercessory prayers. But the sad part is some were claiming in forums that these songs not belonging to Thirumeni or just a translation from Syriac.

      Thirumeni's song " Soodarare keelpeen …. Koodivarin Sradhichiduveen ….."was sung instead of "Velivu niranjoreesho ……." before beginning Holy Eucharist in Public. Now Manarcadu church choir sings this at times (I think only during Ettu Noimbu).

      New generation should know that the author of beautiful songs such as "Bhuswargam perunnone…." and "Sarveshwara Vachanam…" is Ghevarughese Mor Gregarious Perumpallil.

      Elias Abraham
      ID No.3283
    • mathaithebanker
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2013
        I happened to be his student. Thirumeni when he was an Achen and

        was a Malayalam teacher at MGM High School Puthencruz he taught me and he was one of the great teachers with deep knowledge in Malayalam literature.If he teach Malayalam poetry you need not read it again.Even at the age of 63 I remember the poems taught by him.In my college days I attended the classes of Prof. Leelavathi, Prof.Sanu, Prof.Kunjikuttan and so on but only the poems taught by Thirumeni and Prof.Sanu I can recite even now with ease. His writing should be preserved in his name.

        P.E.Mathai
        General Manager(retired)
        South Indian Bank