Our Daily Bread: Country Doctor

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2013
      READ: Philippians 2:1-11

      Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness
      of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Philippians 2:3

      Sinclair Lewis novel Main Street tells the story of Carol, a sophisticated city woman who marries a
      country doctor. She feels superior to others in her new small-town
      environment. But her husband's response to a medical crisis challenges
      her snobbery. An immigrant farmer terribly injures his arm, which needs
      to be amputated. Carol watches with admiration as her husband speaks
      comforting words to the injured man and his distraught wife. The
      physician's warmth and servant attitude challenges Carol's prideful
      mindset.
      In all of our relationships as Jesus followers, we can choose to think
      we're superior or we can humbly serve the interests of others. Paul, the apostle, tells us, Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or
      conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than
      himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but
      also for the interests of others (Phil. 2:3-4).
      We can learn to consider others needs more important than our own as we
      focus on Jesus example. He took the form of a bond servant,� and gave
      Himself up for us (vv.5-8). When we fail in valuing others, His
      sacrifice for us shows us the humble, better way. Dennis Fisher
      More like the Master I would ever be,
      More of His meekness, more humility;
      More zeal to labor, more courage to be true,
      More consecration for work He bids me do. Gabriel
      Joy comes from putting another's welfare ahead of your own.