Our Daily Bread:Miserable Success

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2013
      READ: Luke 9:18-27

      If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. �Luke 9:23

      In whatever a man does without God, he must fail miserably or succeed more miserably, wrote George MacDonald (1824-1905), a Scottish novelist,
      poet, and Christian minister. This intriguing statement is often cited
      by modern speakers and writers and appears in MacDonald's book Unspoken Sermons.
      MacDonald was dealing with the difficult subject of a Christian's self-denial and how we are to apply this teaching of Jesus: If anyone desires to come
      after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow
      Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it� (Luke 9:23-24).
      Rather than merely trying to suppress our natural desires, MacDonald said that true self-denial means we must see things as [Christ] saw them, regard them as He regarded them; we must take the will of God as the very life of our being . . . . We are no more to think, What should I like to
      do? but �What would the Living One have me do?�
      Getting only what we want is succeeding miserably. True success is found in
      losing our lives for Jesus sake and finding them again full and free
      in His will. �David McCasland
      More like the Master I would live and grow,
      More of His love to others I would show;
      More self-denial, like His in Galilee,
      More like the Master I long to ever be. Gabriel
      The spirit of humility and self-denial precedes a deeper and closer walk with God.