Malankara World Journal Issue 149 - Theme: St. Peter and St. Paul

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2013
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 149 - Theme: St. Peter and St. Paul -
      (June 27, 2013) is available online at:

      *TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 149*
      *Theme: St. Peter and St. Paul*

      1. Foreword: St. Peter, The Man Chosen to Lead the Church

      Peter had to learn much about forgiveness, without any limits, and
      humility, as all Christians must, if they are to extend the Church of
      God as Peter did. This requires not mere human knowledge but divine
      knowledge. We learn from St Peter's epistles in the New Testament that
      human beings need to be sober and vigilant because, in addition to the
      weakness of human nature and worldly concerns, we have an opponent, the
      Devil, who roams abound like a roaring lion, looking for someone to
      devour. ...

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (June 30)

      Feast of the Twelve Apostles

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (June 30)

      Sermons and Commentaries for the Feast of 12 Apostles

      Sermons for the Sixth Sunday After Pentecost

      4. Inspiration for Today: No Limits To What God Can Do!

      I believe there is no limit to what God will do to save His children.
      There is no prayer so great that He cannot answer it. There is no
      injustice so overpowering that He cannot put it right. God can bring
      healing to our souls and our bodies. ...

      5. Featured: St. Peter and St. Paul

      The liturgy and Christian art from the first century down to the present
      day emphasize the friendship between Peter and Paul. In a sermon St.
      John Chrysostom called the two "the apostle team." Ancient pictures
      depict them as brothers, and in pictures of the Twelve painted since the
      third century they occupy the places of honor of the immediate right and
      left of the Lord. In the liturgy their feast is celebrated on the day of
      their death, June 29. ...

      6. Peter, The Fisherman

      Simon appears in the Gospels with a determined and impulsive character:
      he is ready to assert his own opinions even with force (remember him
      using the sword in the Garden of Olives: cf. John 18:10ff.). At the same
      time he is also ingenuous and fearful, yet he is honest, to the point of
      the most sincere repentance (cf. Matthew 26:75). ...

      7. Peter, The Apostle

      Peter, who had promised absolute faithfulness, knows the bitterness and
      humiliation of denial: The arrogant learns humility at his expense.
      Peter, too, must learn that he is weak and in need of forgiveness. When
      the mask finally falls and he understands the truth of his weak heart of
      a believing sinner, he breaks out in liberating tears of repentance.
      After this weeping, he is now ready for his mission. ...

      8. Peter: A Saint for the Rest of Us

      Jesus does not ask us to be strong. He does not ask us to be pioneers or
      leaders. He asks of us only what He asked of Peter: that we follow Him.
      That is not always easy. If we know our weakness, however, we have an
      advantage over those who think they are strong. Then we will trust, as
      we try to follow our Master and Lord, not in any strength of our own,
      but only and always in the strength of Jesus Christ. ...

      9. Saint Peter (Poem)

      Saint Peter,
      pray for me,
      that like you,
      I too may see
      the risen Christ.

      10. What Will Really Make You Happy?

      Research shows that the happiest people do four basic things that make
      the difference: they focus on what is good and positive in their lives;
      cope effectively with life's inevitable challenges; develop strong
      relationships; and pursue meaningful goals. ...

      11. Family Special: When Apologizing Is Not Enough

      When we insist on getting our own way - "I can apologize later!" - we
      brutalize our colleagues, betray our loved ones, disappoint our
      co-workers and insult our Lord. ...

      12. Inspirational: Faith of a Little Girl and Miracle

      'Well, I want to talk to you about my brother,' Tess answered. 'He's
      really, really sick....and I want to buy a miracle.' ...

      13. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World
      Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew