Sermon of the Week, 6/23/13

  • KurianThomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2013
      SERMON OF THE WEEK
      June 23, 2013

      Next Sunday is the 5th Sunday after Pentecost. The gospel reading
      is from Luke 9:10-17.

      Topic: "Feeding the Five Thousand: A Dilemma for the Disciples"

      Scripture: (Luke 9:10-17)
      Jesus Feeds the Five Thousand.

       "10When the apostles returned, they reported to Jesus what they had done.
      Then he took them with him and they withdrew by themselves to a town called
      Bethesda,

      11but the crowds learned about it and followed him. He welcomed
       them and spoke to them about the kingdom of God, and healed those who
      needed healing.

      12Late in the afternoon the Twelve came to him and said, "Send
      the crowd away so they can go to the surrounding villages and
      countryside and find food and lodging, because we are in a remote
      place here."

      13He replied, "You give them something to eat."
         They answered, "We have only five loaves of bread and two fish
      —unless we go and buy food for all this crowd."

      14(About five thousand men were there.)
         But he said to his disciples, "Have them sit down in groups of
      about fifty each."

      15The disciples did so, and everybody sat down.

      16Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven,
      he gave thanks and broke them. Then he gave them to the
      disciples to set before the people.

      17They all ate and were satisfied,
      and the disciples picked up twelve basketful's of broken pieces
      that were left over."

       Message: Jesus had made it clear that following him would
      involve a radical change in one's perspective. The life of a
      disciple is different from that of the world or what the world
      would expect for a Christian.

          Last week we read that the disciples were sent out to preach
      in their public ministry alone. They reported back that they
       had successfully preached, conducted healing, and even
      cast out demons. (Luke 9:1)

           Today  we will examine the same chapter for the disciple's
      new experience in the process of learning what it means to
      be a follower of Jesus. The text reveals a new situation the
      disciples had to deal with.

          A large crowd followed Jesus. As the day ended, the disciples
      asked Jesus to send the crowds home for there was no food
      to feed them all and getting food was a problem for the
      followers. Bust Jesus instructed them to feed the crowd.
      The disciples answered, "We have no more than five loaves
      and two fish." Jesus had the disciples seat the crowd, blessed
      the five loaves and  two fish until  all the assembled were fed.
      They all ate and were filled. Twelve baskets of left over were
      taken up by the disciples.

         This incident teaches a new perspective of the power of
      Jesus that the disciples probably didn't recognize at the time.
      For them, it was a deserted place and no food was available
      to feed them all. It seemed to be a reasonable request based
      on their compassion for the crowd. It also seemed a reasonable
      resolution for them.

          Jesus' response probably shocked the disciples when he said,
      "Give them  something to eat", meaning it was their responsibility
       to give them food. The disciples through their association with
      Jesus knew that they can accomplish things they could never
      dream of. The disciples had witnessed Jesus perform many
      miracles, but had no expectation that he would meet their current
       need. It probably is like us who remain dull to the power of Jesus,
       no matter how many times he may have met out needs along
       the way. When Jesus said, "You give them something to eat,"
      it was an impossible task for the disciples.

          They had neither the food nor the money to buy food. The
      message is clear. We will never be adequate to meet all our
      needs. When we think we are great, that we can do our deeds
      without our Lord's input, it's then that we set ourselves for
      failure. In the hands of Jesus, if the five loaves and two fish
      can be a banquet for the multitude of people,his resources
      will help us more than adequately to meet our needs as well.

           The incident teaches us that God does not demand from us
      what we cannot supply, but only wants us to be his disciples
      through whom he can work miracles.  As Christians, we should
      seek to get help from our Lord to help others.
             (Prepared by: Rev. Dr. V KurianThomas Valiyaparambil)
                             kurianvthomas@...