Our Daily Bread: Rock of Refuge

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2013
      READ: Psalm 94:3-23

      The Lord has been my defense, and my God the rock of my refuge. —Psalm 94:22

      One year during my vacation, I walked along the shoreline of a large lake.
      As I approached a pile of boulders, I noticed a small alcove between the rocks and observed that a tiny plant had taken root there. The plant
      appeared to be absorbing the right amount of sunlight and water, and it
      was also getting something else: protection. No downpour or windstorm
      would ruffle its tender leaves.
      The plant’s secure habitat reminded me of these familiar hymn lyrics: “Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee.” Those words express what many of us want when we encounter people with evil
      intentions—people characterized by pride, cruelty, and a lack of regard
      for God (Ps. 94:4-7). When we are the target of someone’s wrongdoing, we can remember the testimony of the psalmist: “The Lord has been my defense, and my God the rock of my refuge” (v.22).
      As our rock, God is dependable and strong. As our refuge, He can provide
      safety until problems pass. The psalmist reminds us: “Under His wings
      you shall take refuge” (Ps. 91:4). With God as our defender, we don’t
      have to fear what others will do. We can trust that God will support us
      when trouble comes. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
      Thank You, God, for Your stable and unchanging
      nature. Help us to hide ourselves in You
      when trouble comes our way. Remind us that we
      don’t have to fight our own battles.
      Refuge can be found in the Rock of Ages.