Our Daily Bread: Every Word Matters

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2013
      READ: Deuteronomy 4:1-10

      You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that
      you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God. Deuteronomy 4:2

      Kim Peek was a savant (a person with extraordinary memory) who memorized all of Shakespeare's plays. During a performance of Twelfth Night, Peek noticed that the actor had skipped a word from one of the lines.
      Peek suddenly stood up and shouted, Stop!� The actor apologized and
      said he didn't think anyone would mind. Peek replied, Shakespeare
      would.
      Words matter. But especially when they are the very words of God. Moses
      warned Israel, You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor
      take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God
      (Deut. 4:2). Moses often reminded Israel of God's mercy and faithfulness to them in the past. But he also stressed the importance of obedience
      to God's commands as they prepared to enter the Promised Land. He told
      them that obedience would result in blessings of life and a rich
      inheritance (vv.39-40). Every command and regulation mattered to God.
      The value His people placed on God's Word showed their view of Him.
      Today, when we value God's Word, handle it with great care, and obey what it
      says, we give God the reverence He truly deserves. Marvin Williams
      The Bible stands, and it will forever
      When the world has passed away;
      By inspiration it has been given
      All its precepts I will obey.
      Haldor Lillenas. Renewal 1945 Haldor Lillenas. Assigned to Hope Publishing.
      God's Word needs no additions or subtractions.