The Christian Father

  • shibu podiyan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2013
      The Christian Father

      God is our Father: The scripture speaks of God as the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ. Rom. 15:6, 2 Cor. 1:3. He is also our Father because we are adopted as sons in the Son. The divine fatherhood helps us understand the human fatherhood, and vice versa. The spiritual truths about fatherhood, both divine and human, are known by revelation from God only. See how Jesus spoke of the heavenly Father in Matt. 5:16,45,48, 6:1,4,6,8,9,15,18,26,32, 7:11.

      The father's compassion: Just as a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him, Ps. 103:13. This defines a father's heart (as corresponding to God's) in the deepest sense: Compassion, that is, forgiving love. Our heavenly Father loves us with forgiving love. The foremost fatherly virtue of a Christian father therefore is forgiving love. Forgiving not only to some extent or to a great extent, but all the way, even as God forgave us in His Son. Such a virtue is not ours except it be imparted to us by grace. Let us as fathers seek the face of God for this supreme virtue that should adorn every Christian father.

      See Paul's words about our heavenly Father, 2 Cor. 1:3-4: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.�

      A picture of such forgiving love is offered to us in the father of the prodigal son. The father's heart melted (felt compassion, Luke 15:20) at the sight of the son who had ruined himself and the father's wealth. Not a thought of condemnation, but only compassion! Of course the returning son was a repenting son.� But before the son expressed his repentance in words, he was in his father's embrace.

      Very thankful to be a father

      Luke Shibu Podiyan
      Washington, D.C.

      "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
      Watch your words, they become actions.
      Watch your actions, they become habit.
      Watch your habits, they become character.
      Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."