Sermon of the Week, 6/16/13

  • KurianThomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2013

      Sunday, June 16, 2013 Next Sunday is the fourth Sunday after Pentecost. Gospel reading for Sunday is from Luke 10:1-11.

      Topic: "Jesus sends out his followers to do missionary work."
      Gospel Reading: (Luke 10:1-11)
      "1 After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and
      sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and
      place where he was about to go.
      2He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the
      workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore,
      to send out workers into his harvest field.
      3 Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves.
      4 Do not take a purse or bag or sandals; and do not greet
      anyone on the road.
      5 When you enter a house, first say, 'Peace to this house.'
      6 If a man of peace is there, your peace will rest on him;
      if not, it will return to you.
      7 Stay in that house, eating and drinking whatever
      they give you, for the worker deserves his wages.
      Do not move around from house to house.
      8 When you enter a town and are welcomed, eat what
      is set before you.
      9 Heal the sick who are there and tell them, 'The
      kingdom of God is near you.'
      10 But when you enter a town and are not welcomed,
      go into its streets and say,
      11 Even the dust of your town that sticks to our feet
      we wipe off against you. Yet be sure of this:
      The kingdom of God is near."
      Message:     During our younger ages, we usually spend years in
      school and college for our education, develop social
      skills and talents. Later we use that knowledge for
      internships or on the job training to gain work experience.
      This training helps us to secure a job for livelihood and
      professional achievements

          Today's gospel describes a similar situation of
      internships for the followers of Jesus. The time
      has come that they need to spread the message that Jesus had taught them and the miracles Jesus had

          Jesus commissions his followers to go out ahead of
      him and prepare the way for him by doing the same
      things he had undertaken.

          Jesus sends the followers ahead of him with specific

      First,they are to go in pairs. Christian service is a collective enterprise. The forces of evil and selfishness
      may destroy us if we do God's work alone and without
      the company of others. Together we can overcome
      those obstacles and transform the world. We must
      collectively hold ourselves accountable before God.
      It is important for us to work collectively.

      Second, Christians should enter each household like a lamb walking in to the midst of wolves. They shall
      enter the house only with God in their hearts. Then
      only they are safe from the wolves. They should hold
      firmly to themselves in the love of God. They should
      always walk in faith.

      Third, always travel light. Jesus asks them to focus on God instead of those who receive them as hosts.
      Jesus tells his followers to bring peace to their
      households, heal the sick, and proclaim that the
      Kingdom of God is at hand.

          Jesus tells them that there is much work to do but
      not enough people to do the work. "The harvest is
      great but not enough laborers."
      Jesus' ministry included both physical and spiritual
      healing. The concerns of the people were demons and
      sickness. People believed that layers of satanic or evil
      powers existed between God and humanity.
          Today the situation is not different. The demons
      of alcohol, and drug abuse are amongst us today. We
      saw in Oprah and Dr. Phil's shows the parade of the
      demons of domestic violence and abuse. In the Jerry
      Springer show we still see the demons of drug addictions
      and oppression. Some of the demons have names and
      others don't. We all have our own demons we struggle
      with daily. The demons today are just as influential as
      they were in Jesus' time. There are so many of us who
      are spiritually sick today as they were back then.
          We are left with a question. How to deal with the
      problems many of us experience? It is for sure that positive change will occur in us when we come to know
      God and share his plans for us. We need to overcome
      the evil in this world. For that God must live in our
      hearts. There is a world full of hurt people who are
      out there looking for some hope to get out of the
      troubles they face each day. God's grace can change
      them from the satanic influence. Jesus sent his
      followers to make a difference in the lives of many
      people. What really counts in the long run is, with the
      help of Jesus, we can get up again when we fall, and
      when we seem in despair, we can expect Jesus to help
      our problem.
          The center of Jesus' teachings is that God is a God
      of love, so loved the world that he gave his only son to
      suffer and die for us so that we might have a new life.
      Like Jesus'disciples, we can carry out the same
      ministry of Jesus Christ by sharing God's love with
      those people who are a part of our everyday lives.
      Such love will definitely change the world and the
      people around us.

      (Prepared by: Rev. Dr. V KurianThomas, Valiyaparambil)               kurianvthomas@...