Our Daily Bread: A Letter from C S Lewis

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2013
      READ: 1 John 2:9-17

      I write to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for His name’s sake. —1 John 2:12

      In September 1961, Harvey Karlsen, a high school student in Brooklyn, New
      York, wrote to C. S. Lewis in England. Harvey had read Lewis’ book The Screwtape Letters and asked the author, “When you wrote this book, did Satan give you any trouble, and if he did, what did you do about it?”
      Three weeks later, Lewis penned a reply in which he affirmed that he still
      had plenty of temptations. He said that in facing them, “Perhaps . . .
      the most important thing is to keep on; not to be discouraged however often one yields to the temptation, but always to pick yourself up again and ask forgiveness.”
      The New Testament letters of John are filled with encouragement to
      persevere in the face of temptation. “I write to you, little children,
      because your sins are forgiven you for His name’s sake. I write to you,
      fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I write
      to you, young men, because you have overcome the wicked one” (1 John
      2:12-13).
      Whatever our age or experience, we are in a spiritual battle together. “The
      world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of
      God abides forever” (v.17).
      Let us cling to God and keep on! —David McCasland
      Lord, I get discouraged when I’ve given in again to one
      of Satan’s schemes. I’m thankful, though, that Christ
      paid for that sin on the cross. Help me to confess it and then
      to keep on relying on You for my spiritual growth.
      To master temptation, let Christ master you.