Sermon of the Week,, 6/9/13

  • KurianThomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2013
      SERMON OF THE WEEK
      Sunday, June 9, 2013

      Next Sunday is the 3rd Sunday after Pentecost.� Gospel reading is from
      John 6:37-40.

      Theme: Jesus says, "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and
      whoever comes to me, I will never cast anyone away." (John 6:37)

      Scripture: (John 6:37-40)

      37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes
      to Me I will by no means cast out.

      38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the
      will of Him who sent Me.

      39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me
      I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.

      40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the
      Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him
      up at the last day.�

      Message:

      The gospel says, if we accept Jesus for our support and guidance,
      he will always receive us. Jesus will never turn us away.�

      We all experience rejection from others several times in life. Rejection is very hurtful. However, no one will ever experience rejection and the pain from our Lord. Jesus calls on all the people, every one, to receive him in their hearts. If we go to Jesus with our burdens, sure he will give us rest and comfort . We all need emotional and spiritual comfort. Our life gets in turmoil due to the emotional and spiritual vacuum we experience. The stresses in life make us often weary. Jesus promises that he will give us the rest and comfort we will need.

      We don't need to be perfect to go to him for rest and comfort. God
      used several people whose lives were less than perfect to make him
      known to others:

      1. Noah got drunk.
      2. Moses couldn't speak clearly.
      3. Samson was a womanizer.
      4. Rahab was a prostitute
      5. Jeremiah was by-polar.
      6. David had an affair and conspired to murder.
      7. Elijah was suicidal.
      8. Jonah ran away from God.
      9. John the Baptist ate bugs.
      10. Peter denied Jesus.
      11. The disciples fell sleep while praying.
      12. Mary Magdalene had sinned.

            But God used every one of them to make himself known to others.
      Jesus says, "Come and follow me.  I will make you fishers of men." No
      need to� be perfect. We don't need to think that we are disqualified to be with Jesus because of our imperfection. If we acknowledge Jesus,
      he will also acknowledge us to the Father. We should have faith in Jesus and we shouldn't compartmentalize that faith. Acknowledge Jesus not just on Sundays, but on every day of the week and every hour of the day.

      Faith in Jesus is not part time, it shall be our life. Our life must be centered around our Lord. None of us possesses the attribute of
      perfection. It is the willingness to identify our Lord is the most
      important attribute.

      Jesus will not abandon us. He will come to us always. There will
      never be a time when he doesn't care about us. There will never be
       a time when he doesn't love us, provide for, and watch over us. We
      feel insecure when we lose our beloved ones or feel uncertain about
      our future. The scripture teaches that God will never abandon us if
      we face similar situations. If any one abandons or rejects us in this
      world, our Lord will hold us close to him.

      Let's go to Jesus just as the way we are. Let's bring our burdens
      and weariness to Jesus Christ. He is the one willing and able to
      meet our needs.�

      (Prepared by Rev. Dr. V Kurian Thomas Valiyaparambil)
      kurianvthomas@...