Our Daily Bread: Wise Words

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2013
      READ: Ecclesiastes 12:6-14

      The words of the wise are like goads, and the words of scholars are like
      well-driven nails, given by one Shepherd. —Ecclesiastes 12:11

      Now in my sixties, I reflect back on wise spiritual leaders who had a
      positive impact on my life. In Bible school, God used my Old Testament
      professor to make the Word come alive. My Greek teacher relentlessly
      employed high standards to goad my study of the New Testament. And the
      senior pastor in my first pastoral ministry shepherded me in building
      vital ministries to help others grow spiritually. Each of these teachers encouraged me in different ways.
      King Solomon wisely observed some ways that spiritual leaders can help us
      grow: “The words of the wise are like goads, and the words of scholars
      are like well-driven nails, given by one Shepherd” (Eccl. 12:11). Some
      teachers prod us; others build solid spiritual structures into our
      lives. Still others, as caring shepherds, are there with a listening ear when we hurt.
      The Good Shepherd has given leaders a variety of gifts: exhorting,
      developing, and shepherding. Whether we’re a leader or a learner,
      though, He desires that we maintain humble hearts and a love for others. What a privilege to be led and used by our Shepherd to encourage others in their walk with Him. —Dennis Fisher
      Give us the wisdom we need, Lord, to encourage
      others in their spiritual walk. We know we need Your
      Spirit’s power to do that. Use the gifts You have
      given us to help others along on their journey.
      May our words reflect the heart of God and His wisdom.