Malankara World Journal Issue 145 Theme: Cost of Discipleship (May 30, 2013)

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30 3:10 PM

      The Malankara World Journal Issue 145 Theme: Cost of Discipleship (May 30, 2013) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 145
      Theme: Cost of Discipleship

      1. Foreword

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (June 2)

      Second Sunday after Pentecost
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_2nd_sunday-after-pentecost.htm

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (June 2)

      Sermons for the Second Sunday After Pentecost
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_2nd-sunday-after-Pentecost.htm

      4. Inspiration for Today: Lifting The Weight of Worry

      When you see someone who is struggling -- a co-worker who is discouraged, a

      friend who is not up to par -- how do you respond? Our words can be what keeps

      a person going; our compliments can put a spring back into their step. Now more

      than ever, we need to automatically let the encouragement flow. We need to tell

      others how much we love them, how we value them, and tell them that they are

      talented and creative. ...

      5. Jesus: The Fulcrum Of The World

      Jesus wasn't one to advocate conflict. He did say plenty of things in support of the

      family, and he wouldn't let people use religion as an excuse to get out of taking

      care of the family. It's just that he's predicting that following him won't always

      bring peace to the household. .. Jesus sees himself as the fulcrum of the world: in

      him there is a decision about life. To turn toward Jesus necessarily means turning

      away from the other. So if we're looking for Jesus to provide peace in the sense of

      the status quo, we'll be disappointed, but also challenged. When a person commits

      to Jesus, tension will often come into other relationships, including family

      relationships. This may become the price to pay when our families provide us with

      identity, community, and security. ...

      6. A True Apprentice

      Apprenticeship is about humility and sacrifice and love. It’s about looking within,

      knowing our own needs, and allowing our souls to be filled with so such love for

      Christ that it spills over onto everyone we meet. ...

      7. The Cost of True Discipleship

      Jesus was very plainly teaching that there is a cost to be His disciple. He expects

      our highest devotion, and He couldn't have made His standards more clear. ...

      8. Doing What He Asks

      As followers of Christ, we are called to a life of obedience to God's Word.

      However, we often find that there are areas in our lives in which we struggle

      against His plan. The Christian walk is all about knowing Christ and becoming like

      Him through the surrender of our selfish ways and desires. ...

      9. Above And Beyond Family Values

      For many people their highest value is merely their family. Their life is their family;

      and for all practical purposes, their family is their God. Jesus measures himself

      against family, he lays the "good" family next to himself as the "best" and says:

      "Choose me above all." This is where the banging begins and the sparks start to fly,

      because precisely here is the clash between loyalty to family and loyalty to Jesus.

      Jesus will not allow himself to be an appendage or an after thought. ...

      10. The Family of a Disciple

      Christ is not here advocating repudiation of family. Instead, He insists that our

      allegiance be to Him and to His will. Nothing must be allowed to usurp His rightful

      position of supremacy in our lives. While it is true that for some a life

      unencumbered by family duties may result in more efficient ministry (1

      Corinthians 7:1-9, 25-38), family relationships and responsibilities are of great

      importance to Him. ...

      11. Acquiescence ye Divine!!! സമര്‍പ്പണം ഗുരോ…….

      A bilingual poem dedicated to all the suffering Christians worldwide.

      12. Health: Opening to the Supermind Through Lucid Dreaming

      Can we personally access the intelligent dimension that creates and orchestrates the

      world and tap into that infinite power for love, ideal health and creativity? Dr.

      Maurie D. Pressman says, "Yes!" and he presents extraordinary, accessible ways to

      reach this storehouse of wisdom and intelligence. ...

      13. Recipe: Green Bean and Hazelnut Salad

      A great summer salad

      14. Perfect Muffin Recipe - Correction

      Please correct the baking soda quantity.

      15. No Place Like Home: The Little Way of Ruthie Leming

      Ruthie, always helping others, received help from them now, accepting her illness

      as God's will. "The love that had sustained Ruthie through her cancer, and that now

      surrounded and upheld her family, came from somewhere." Rod saw Ruthie's

      death reveal a "bright sadness."
      "I was able to see," he writes, "the effect of Ruthie's love, given and returned, in

      steadfast acts of ordinary faith, hope, and charity. The little way of Ruthie Leming

      is the plainest thing in the world, something any of us could choose." ...

      16. A Short Course in Happiness

      "Some people claim that happiness is all in your DNA or bank account. The truth is

      that happiness is largely a matter of everyday choices and actions. There are

      straightforward, well-researched and effective things every one of us can do to

      create greater happiness in our lives and in the lives of those we care about." ...

      17. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World