Our Lord Jesus and Chief Apostle Peter

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2013
      I am astounded to hear / read the various comments on Jn 21:16-19 mentioning the re-installation / restoration / reinstatement of St.Peter by our Lord. The commentators  conclude that Peter lost his position as Apostle on account of the his denying Jesus three times while being in the castle of Chief Priest of the Jews
      (Vide Lk 22:54-62 and other references in the other three Gospels) The Lord made Peter confess his love for the Lord thrice as Peter denied Jesus thrice as a pre-condition to have him in the group of the Apostles,  they vehemently argue.

      If this argument is to be accepted, Our Lord Jesus would have said "Hmm" when Peter confessed his love for the Lord for the first time.For his confession of his love for the Lord for the second time also  our Lord would have said " Hmm" When Peter confessed his love for Our Lord for the third time and then only our Lord should have declared the reinstallation / restoration / reinstatement of  Peter to the position of the shepherd of His Church.

      In fact with the confession of love for Our Lord for  the first time, He entrusted His KUNJAATUKAL-LAMBS-EMRA with Peter, with the second confession of his love for Our Lord, He entrusted His PENNAATUKAL- EWES-ERBA with Peter and with the third confession He entrusted His AATUKAL SHEEP-NQAVOTH with Peter to tend them FOR AND ON BEHALF OF OUR LORD. (The pronunciations of the Syriac words are subject to correction).

      The protestants can argue and the IOC, for obvious reasons, have to argue as indicated in paragraph 1 above.
      But I am unhappy that our speakers, writers and teachers travel in the same boat as that of the protestants and the IOC in this issue.

      V T John
       ID 3985