Our Daily Bread: True Sacrifice

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27 6:15 PM
      READ: Romans 5:1-11

      Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. —John 15:13

      Eric was one of the good guys. As a police officer, he saw his work as
      service to his community and was fully committed to serving at all
      costs. Evidence of this desire was seen on the door of Eric’s locker at
      the police station, where he posted John 15:13.
      In that verse, our Lord said, “Greater love has no one than this, than to
      lay down one’s life for his friends.” Those words, however, were not
      merely noble ideals. They expressed Eric’s commitment to his duty as a
      police officer—a commitment that demanded the ultimate price when he was killed in the line of duty. It was a real-life display of the heart of
      true sacrifice.
      Jesus Christ lived out the powerful words of John 15:13 within hours of
      stating them. The upper room event where Jesus spoke of such sacrifice
      was followed by communion with the Father at Gethsemane, a series of
      illegal trials, and then crucifixion before a mocking crowd.
      As the Son of God, Jesus could have avoided the suffering, torture, and
      cruelty. He was utterly without sin and did not deserve to die. But
      love, the fuel that drives true sacrifice, drove Him to the cross. As a
      result, we can be forgiven if we will accept His sacrifice and
      resurrection by faith. Have you trusted the One who laid down His life
      for you? —Bill Crowder
      ’Twas not a martyr’s death He died,
      The Christ of Calvary;
      It was a willing sacrifice
      He made for you—for me. —Adams
      Only Jesus, the perfect sacrifice, can declare guilty people perfect.