Our Daily Bread: Heavenly Country

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2013
      READ: Hebrews 11:8-16

      Our citizenship is in heaven. —Philippians 3:20

      During high school, my closest friend and I took a pair of horses out for an
      afternoon ride. We slowly roamed through fields of wildflowers and
      wooded groves. But when we nosed the horses in the direction of the
      barn, they took off toward home like twin rockets. Our equine friends
      knew that it was time for dinner and a good brushing, and they could
      hardly wait.
      As Christians, our true home is heaven (Phil. 3:20). Yet sometimes our
      desires tether us to the here and now. We enjoy God’s good
      gifts—marriage, children, grandchildren, travel, careers, friends. At
      the same time, the Bible challenges us to focus on “things above” (Col.
      3:1-2). Things above may include the unseen benefits of heaven: God’s
      enduring presence (Rev. 22:3-5), unending rest (Heb. 4:9), and an
      everlasting inheritance (1 Peter 1:4).
      Recently I read, “Believers desire the heavenly inheritance; and the stronger
      the faith is, the more fervent [the desire].” Several Old Testament
      believers mentioned in Hebrews 11 had strong faith in God that enabled
      them to embrace His promises before receiving them (v.13). One such
      promise was heaven. If we too put our faith in God, He will give us a
      desire for that “heavenly country” (v.16) and will loosen our grip on
      this world. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
      When we all get to heaven,
      What a day of rejoicing that will be!
      When we all see Jesus,
      We’ll sing and shout the victory. —Hewitt
      For the Christian, heaven is spelled H-O-M-E.