Our Daily Bread: A Missed Lunch

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2013
      READ: John 4:27-38

      Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work.” —John 4:34

      For me, food is more than a necessity—it’s a wonderfully enjoyable part of
      life! I enjoy sitting down to a well-prepared meal, especially when I’m
      feeling hungry. I imagine that the disciples were hungry for lunch when
      they returned to the well where Jesus was interacting with the Samaritan woman. They urged Him, “Rabbi, eat” (John 4:31). His response? “I have
      food to eat of which you do not know” (v.32), which made them wonder if
      someone had already brought Him something to eat (v.33).
      I wonder if the disciples were so consumed with thinking about food that
      they couldn’t see past their picnic. They didn’t understand the
      significance of what was going on at the well. The most important thing
      to Jesus was “to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work” (v.34). He was focused on the spiritual needs of this woman who
      desperately needed what only He could give.
      It’s easy to become preoccupied with needs of the moment. But Jesus invites
      us to get beyond our own interests—our own little “lunch”—to open our
      eyes to the souls who are searching for answers to their deepest needs.
      So, join Jesus at the well, and let Him use you to tell others about the spiritual food only He can give. —Joe Stowell
      Dear Lord, may my eyes be fixed not just on the things
      I am interested in, but lift my eyes to see the
      needy souls around me. Give me passion for the lost
      and the joy of seeing others satisfied in You.
      Be hungry to satisfy the needs of others around you.