His Holiness Abune Mathias of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church joins Twitter.

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2013
      18 May'13
      News

      His Holiness Abune Mathias of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church joins Twitter.

      Ethiopian Orthodox Church’s new Patriarch, Abune Mathias has officially joined the microblogging website Twitter, securing the account @EOTCPatriarch. (https://twitter.com/EOTCPatriarch)

      His first tweet dated on March 10 reads,

      "Good morning from Addis Ababa! My brethren, pray for the unity of our Holy Orthodox Church and each other as we enter the Great Holy Lent."

      Abune Mathias, who has previously served as archbishop of the church in Jerusalem, was enthroned on March 3, 2013. The 71-year-old patriarch has lived abroad for more than 30 years, which probably explains why he is embracing the new technology.In another tweet dated March 20, the Patriarch said that he misses Jerusalem, but he is honored and humbled “to serve our Holy Church” at the Patriarchate in Addis Ababa.

      The Patriarch’s tweets are spiritual in nature, reminding people to serve the poor and keep them in their prayers. His desire to connect with citizens regularly suggests that he is keen to be seen to be engaging with the concerns of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.

      Right now, the Patriarch has over 436 followers, and he appears to be the first head the Ethiopian Orthodox Church active on the platform.