Our Daily Bread: No Loose Laces

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2013
      READ: Joshua 7:1-12

      The children of Israel committed a trespass regarding the accursed things,
      for Achan . . . took of the accursed things. —Joshua 7:1

      One person’s actions can affect an entire group. This truth became clear to journalist Sebastian Junger as he followed a platoon of soldiers.
      Junger watched a soldier accost another soldier whose bootlaces were
      trailing on the ground. He didn’t confront him out of concern for his
      fashion. He confronted him because his loose laces put the entire
      platoon at risk—he couldn’t be counted on not to trip and fall at a
      crucial moment. Junger realized that what happens to one happens to
      everyone.
      Achan’s “bootlaces were loose,” and we learn from his story that sin is never
      private. After the great victory at Jericho, God gave Joshua specific
      instructions on how to deal with the city and its loot (Josh. 6:18). The people were to “abstain from the accursed things” and to put all the
      silver and gold “into the treasury of the Lord” (vv.18-19). But they disobeyed his command to them (7:1). The
      interesting thing is, not all of Israel sinned; only one person
      did—Achan. But because of his actions, everyone was affected and God was dishonored.
      As followers of Jesus, we belong to one another and our individual actions can impact the entire body and God’s name. Let’s “tie up our laces” so
      that we may individually and together give God the honor He deserves.
      —Marvin Williams
      Lord, we know our sin is never private, though we
      may try to hide it. Help us to remember that we
      belong to You and to one another and that what we do
      individually grieves You and impacts fellow Christians.
      Private sins will inevitably have public impact.