Our Daily Bread: Waiting to Cheer

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2013
      READ: Ephesians 3:14-21

      . . . to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. —Ephesians 3:19

      In his very first Little League baseball game, a young player on the team I was coaching got hit in the face with a ball. He was not hurt but was
      understandably shaken. For the rest of the season, he was afraid of the
      ball. Game after game, he bravely tried, but he just couldn’t seem to
      hit the ball.
      In our final game, we were hopelessly behind, with nothing to cheer about. Then that young man stepped up to take his turn. Thwack! To everyone’s
      surprise, he hit the ball sharply! His teammates went wild; his parents
      and his teammates’ parents cheered loudly. Even though we were still
      losing the game, I was jumping up and down! We all loved this kid and
      cheered him on.
      I imagine that the Lord cheers us on in our lives as well. He loves us
      deeply and desires that we “may be able to comprehend . . . what is the
      width and length and depth and height—to know the love of Christ which
      passes knowledge” (Eph. 3:18-19).
      Some think of the Lord as unloving and waiting for us to slip up so He can
      punish us. So we have the privilege of telling them of His deep love for them. Imagine their joy when they hear about the God who loves them so
      much that He sent His only Son to die on the cross for their sin and who wants to cheer them on! —Randy Kilgore
      Help us, heavenly Father, to see the many
      ways You love and encourage us; then help
      us to love and encourage those around
      us so that they can see You in us.
      The nail-pierced hands of Jesus reveal the love-filled heart of God.