Our Daily Bread: "Don't Worry Dad"

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 2:26 AM
      READ: Exodus 14:19-25

      The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard. —Isaiah 58:8

      Last summer, my husband and I hosted a concert and fundraiser for childhood
      cancer research. We planned to have the event in our backyard, but
      weather forecasts were dismal. A few hours before the event, we began
      calling our 100+ guests to inform them of a change in venue. As our
      friends and family began feverishly toting food, decorations, and
      equipment from our house to our church gym, our daughter Rosie took a
      moment to give her dad a hug and remind him on behalf of the kids and
      grandkids that they were there for him: “Don’t worry, Dad! We’ve got
      your back.”
      Hearing that expression is comforting because it reminds us that we’re not on
      our own. Someone is saying, “I’m here. I’ll take care of whatever you
      might miss. I’ll be a second set of eyes and hands for you.”
      As the Israelites were escaping a life of slavery, Pharaoh sent his army
      of chariots and horsemen to give chase (Ex. 14:17). But “the Angel of
      God . . . and the pillar of cloud went from before them and stood behind them” (v.19). In this way, God hid and protected them throughout the
      night. The next day, He parted the Red Sea so they could safely cross
      over.
      God tells us “Don’t worry” as well. “If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Rom. 8:31). —Cindy Hess Kasper
      God’s hand that holds the ocean’s depths
      Can hold my small affairs;
      His hand that guides the universe
      Can carry all my cares. —Anon.
      Our work is to cast care; God’s work is to take care!