Our Daily Bread: A Plea For Prayer

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2013
      READ: 2 Thessalonians 3:1-5

      Brethren, pray for us. —2 Thessalonians 3:1

      A missionary recently visited the Bible study I was attending. She
      described what it had been like to pack up her household, part with
      friends, and relocate to a distant country. When she and her family
      arrived, they were greeted with a flourishing drug-trade and hazardous
      roadways. The language barrier brought on bouts of loneliness. They
      contracted four different stomach viruses. And her oldest daughter
      narrowly escaped death after falling through a railing on an unsafe
      stairwell. They needed prayer.
      The apostle Paul experienced danger and hardship as a missionary. He was
      imprisoned, shipwrecked, and beaten. It’s no surprise that his letters
      contained pleas for prayer. He asked the believers in Thessalonica to
      pray for success in spreading the gospel—that God’s Word would “run
      swiftly and be glorified” (2 Thess. 3:1) and that God would deliver him
      from “unreasonable and wicked men” (v.2). Paul knew he would need to
      “open [his] mouth boldly” and declare the gospel (Eph. 6:19), which was
      yet another prayer request.
      Do you know people who need supernatural help as they spread the good news of Christ? Remember Paul’s appeal, “Brethren, pray for us” (2 Thess.
      3:1), and intercede for them before the throne of our powerful God.
      —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
      Commit to pray and intercede—
      The battle’s strong and great’s the need;
      And this one truth can’t be ignored:
      Our only help comes from the Lord. —Sper
      Intercede for others in prayer; God’s throne is always accessible.