Sermon of the Week, 5/5/13

  • KurianThomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 6:54 AM
      SERMON OF THE WEEK
      May 5, 2013

      Next Sunday is the 5th Sunday after Easter. Gospel reading for
      Sunday is from Luke 9:57-62.

      Topic:   "The cost of following Jesus."

      Gospel Reading:  (St. Luke 9:57-62)
      57. As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, "I will
      follow you wherever you go."

      58. Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests,
      but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."

      59. He said to another man, "Follow me." But the man replied
      ,
      "Lord, first let me go and bury my father."

      60. Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead,
      but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God."

      61. Still another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go
      back and say good-by to my family."

      62. Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and
      looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."

      Message:

          In the gospel, Jesus spells out the commitment he expects
      from his followers. Jesus is looking for a different breed of
      disciples, one who after committing himself for the cause,
      will not harbor second thoughts about it.
          As Jesus and his disciples were walking along the road to
      Jerusalem, a man said to him, "I want to follow you wherever
      you go." Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the
      air have nests, but the son of man has no place to lay his head.".
      Jesus said to another man, "Follow me." But the man replied,
      "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." Jesus said to him,
      "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim
      the kingdom of God."

          Still a third man said, "I will follow you, but let me first go
      back and say good-bye to my family." Jesus
      replied, "No one puts his hands on the plow and looks back,
      is fit for the service in the kingdom of God. "

          What seems striking in the response Jesus gives to each,
      makes one ask the question: what does Jesus expect of
      those who seek to follow him? It would appear he turns away
      more people than he takes in. But we learn at the end that
      being a disciples of Jesus involves being of a "different breed."
      The commitment is the first and most basic Jesus wants. Most
      of us are quicker with our words than with our deeds. Jesus
      must have desired a person who was less with his words and
      more with his deeds.

          To follow Jesus means a life that would require a degree
      of separation and isolation from this world.

          Following Jesus means new ways of daily living in sharp contrast
      to this worldly life. Jesus was to suffer persecution and execution.
      There is a cost of following Jesus. There is no earthly security
      once we follow Jesus Christ. This is evident in Luke 9:57-59.
      A true follower of Jesus will have no earthly ties. Jesus says,
      "Leave it behind, and follow me." And the follower shall have
      no earthly distractions. We can't have a true Christian life that
      is associated with our worldly desires. The true follower allows
      no earthly ties to distract our commitment to God.

          What will it cost us to follow Jesus? It will cost us a lot.
      Jesus calls on us to commit ourselves to him completely,
      and hold back nothing. Jesus told the first man, "Count the
      cost." To the second man, Jesus said, "Leave it behind." And
      to the third man, "Don't look back." The cost to follow Jesus
      is heavy. But then, the cost of not following Christ could be
      heavier. The rewards for service to Jesus are great and the
      demand would be harsh also. Let's be someone who is totally
      and permanently committed to serving God for a reward that
      promises a life with Him in heaven.

      Prepared by: Rev. Dr. V Kurian Thomas Valiyaparambi