Malankara World Journal Issue 140 - Focus: Christian Persecution And Discipleship

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 5:30 PM
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 140 - Focus: Christian Persecution And
      Discipleship - (May 2, 2013) is available online at:

      *TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 140*
      Focus: Christian Persecution And Discipleship

      1. Foreword

      *THIS SUNDAY IN CHURCH*

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (May 5)

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_4th-sunday-after-new-sunday.htm

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (May 5)

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_4th-sunday-after-new-sunday.htm

      *THEMED ARTICLES*

      4. Prayer Request for Our Abdicated Bishops and Priests

      It has been more than 10 days since the kidnapping of the two
      Metropolitan Archbishops of Aleppo, Mor Gregorios Yuhanna Ibrahim of the
      Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch, and Paul Yazigi of the Greek Orthodox
      Church of Antioch. We still do not have any information about the
      whereabouts of these bishops They were abdicated while on a humanitarian
      mission on Monday, April 22, 2013 to have two priests released. ...

      5. Featured: No Servant is Greater than His Master

      Jesus promised his disciples the night before he was crucified that
      their lot was to be no different than His. Jesus said: "No servant is
      greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will persecute you
      also!" ...The best, the greatest, the most significant benefit of
      persecution is that it brings Christ close in the life of the persecuted
      believer. You. Me. We get the opportunity to know Christ better! That is
      the great miracle of it! ...

      6. Regime Change and Christian Persecution

      A great deal of the ambivalence toward the so-called "Arab Spring" and
      the events in Syria comes from the concern over what will happen to the
      Christians in these countries. The overthrow of Saddam Hussein was
      followed, in very short order, by open war on Iraq's ancient Christian
      community. The ouster of Hosni Mubarak has accelerated the attacks on
      the Copts. Who knows what might happen to Christians in post-Assad
      Syria? ...

      7. Costly Discipleship

      To pick up the cross and follow Jesus means to be willing to go anywhere
      and do anything for your Lord. It means that you want God to do His will
      in and through you. There is a cost to being a disciple of Jesus Christ,
      but the end results are well worth it. ...

      8. Owned by Identity, Bought by a Savior

      Christ urged us to follow Him with the heavy weight of lumber slung
      across our shoulders (Mark 8:34). That image is one of ownership. Why
      else would we take up humiliation and hardship to struggle after a
      bloodied Lamb? It isn't an image of coercion, but of willingness. Just
      as the Messiah surrendered Himself to be crucified, we crucify ourselves
      to admit surrender. ...

      9. Orthodoxy is being destroyed in Syria

      By now, 138,000 Christians have been banished from their homes and, at
      the same time, Christian Churches are systematically destroyed. "They
      are killing people. A human life is of no value for them," in such words
      Bishop Luke is describing the situation in the country. ...

      10. Persecuted: Christians in a World of Trouble

      Across the world Christians are harassed, arrested, jailed, tortured,
      raped, beaten and killed. Their churches and homes are bombed or burned
      to the ground. And children are taken from their Christian parents lest
      they too become tainted with faith in Jesus. ...

      11. Facing Uncertainty

      Sometimes Jesus disguises exciting opportunities for personal growth as
      difficult circumstances. We would choose to avoid trials at all costs,
      but Jesus sees the bigger picture. ...

      *GENERAL ARTICLES*

      12. Very Rev. Dr. Kuriakose Corepiscopos Moolayil To Be Decorated With
      The Patriarchal Award Malphono de Mardutho (Doctor of Literature)

      13. Health: Get a Glowing Tan by Drinking Your Vegetables

      New research suggests that eating vegetables gives your skin a healthy
      golden tan color. A study led by Dr. Ian Stephen at the University of
      Nottingham revealed that eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables
      gives you more of a healthy golden glow than the sun, according to the
      journal Evolution & Human Behavior. ...

      14. Introducing Dr. Shila Mathew, MD., Food and Living Editor, Malankara
      World

      15. Recipe: Sweet and Spicy Pineapple

      Enjoy this as a side dish along with Dosha, idly or uppuma or even rice.

      16. Bonus Recipe: Strawberry Banana Smoothie

      Loaded with potassium, fiber, vitamin C and antioxidants, this simple
      smoothie recipe is the perfect pick me up.

      17. Family Special: It's the Little Moments that Matter Most in Marriage

      Things don't go bad in a marriage in an instant. The character of a
      marriage is not formed in one grand moment. Things in a marriage go bad
      progressively. Things become sweet and beautiful progressively. The
      development and deepening of the love in a marriage happens by things
      that are done daily; this is also true with the sad deterioration of a
      marriage. The problem is that we simply don't pay attention, and because
      of this we allow ourselves to think, desire, say, and do things that we
      shouldn't. ...

      18. Family Special: Teach Your Children Well

      Training children to love and to serve the Lord, to be compassionate
      toward others, and to have consistent walks of faith is the most noble
      and important work any parent can do. Therefore, we should find great
      joy in the fact that the Lord has called us and entrusted us to be
      parents! ...

      19. About Malankara World

      ========================

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World
      Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew