Our Daily Bread: Faithful To Finish

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23 9:29 PM
      READ: Hebrews 12:1-4

      Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us. —Hebrews 12:1

      After running 32 kilometers (20 miles) of the Salomon Kielder Marathon in
      Great Britain, a runner dropped out and rode a bus to a wooded area near the finish line. Then, he re-entered the race and claimed third prize.
      When officials questioned him, he stated that he stopped running because he was tired.
      Many of us can relate to the exhaustion of a worn-out athlete as we run the
      race of the Christian faith. The book of Hebrews encourages us to “run
      with endurance the race that is set before us” (12:1). Running with
      endurance requires that we lay aside the sin that stands in our way and
      shed the weights that hold us back. We may even have to press on through persecution (2 Tim. 3:12).
      To prevent weariness and discouragement in our souls (Heb. 12:3), the
      Bible urges us to focus on Christ. When we pay more attention to Him
      than to our struggles, we will notice Him running alongside
      us—supporting us when we stumble (2 Cor. 12:9) and encouraging us with
      His example (1 Peter 2:21-24). Keeping our eyes on “the author and
      finisher of our faith” (Heb. 12:2) will help us stay close to the source of our strength and remain faithful to the finish. —Jennifer Benson
      Schuldt
      Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
      Look full in His wonderful face;
      And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
      In the light of His glory and grace.
      —H. H. Lemmel. © Renewal 1950. H. H. Lemmel
      We can finish strong when we focus on Christ.