Our Daily Bread: Cape Tribulation

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2013
      READ: James 1:1-8

      My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing
      that the testing of your faith produces patience. —James 1:2-3

      On June 10, 1770, British navigator James Cook’s ship hit a reef off the
      northeast coast of Australia. He sailed the ship out into deeper water
      only to hit the reef again, and this time the collision almost sank the
      ship. This experience moved Cook to write in the ship’s log: “The north
      point [was named] Cape Tribulation because here began all our troubles.”
      Many of us have experienced a trial that has seemed to trigger a string of
      other trials. The loss of a job, the death of a loved one, an unwanted
      divorce, or a decline in health could all be part of the list.
      Even though a crisis may seem to be our “Cape Tribulation,” God is still
      sovereign and He most certainly is in control. It is His purpose to use
      tribulation to build resilience into us. James writes: “My brethren,
      count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the
      testing of your faith produces patience” (James 1:2-3). The word
      translated “patience” means to have staying power or the ability to
      endure.
      In the midst of your life-changing trial, remember that God is still at
      work. He wants to use your “Cape Tribulation” experience to build your
      character. He has promised His grace to see you through (2 Cor. 12:9).
      —Dennis Fisher
      He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater,
      He sendeth more strength when the labors increase;
      To added affliction He addeth His mercy,
      To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace.
      —Annie Johnson Flint. © Renewal 1969. Lillenas Publishing
      Faith grows best in the winter of trial. —Rutherford