Our Daily Bread: Money Talk

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2013
      READ: 1 Timothy 6:6-12

      Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust
      in uncertain riches but in the living God. —1 Timothy 6:17

      Marilyn and Steven had been married just a few years, and money was tight. But
      as she looked at their threadbare bedspread, she wanted to replace it.
      So she decided she would buy a new one with a credit card—hoping to
      somehow find the money to pay it off.
      Her devotional reading for the day surprised her when it pointed her to
      Proverbs 22:27, “If you lack the means to pay, your very bed will be
      snatched from under you” (niv). Marilyn decided not to go into debt for a new bedspread that day.
      Decisions about the way we spend our money are a personal matter between us and
      the Lord and can be difficult to make. But God hasn’t left us without
      help. He tells us: “Honor the Lord with your possessions” (Prov. 3:9), and “You cannot serve both God and Money” (Matt. 6:24 niv).
      With such truths in mind, we look further in His Word for help to use money
      wisely. We find this: “Beware of covetousness” (Luke 12:15). Another
      says, “The borrower is servant to the lender” (Prov. 22:7). And in 1
      Timothy we read, be “ready to give, willing to share” (6:18).
      Money is a big issue. God, who provides for all our needs, can show us how to use it to bring Him honor. —Dave Branon
      Lord, sometimes money and finances are
      overwhelming. It’s hard to know what decisions
      to make, so please lead me and give the wisdom
      to use my finances in a way that pleases You.
      Never let gold become your god.