Our Daily Bread: Guard Your Brand

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2013
      READ: Colossians 3:1-14

      Above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. —Colossians 3:14

      A popular clothing retailer requires that its sales clerks dress like the models in the store windows who advertise its clothes. This practice is referred to as “guarding their brand.” The idea behind it is that
      shoppers will be more likely to purchase clothes because they will want
      to look like the people they see wearing them.
      In a consumer-oriented culture, it’s easy to be seduced into thinking that we can “buy” acceptance by wearing the things that beautiful people
      wear. Retailers would have us believe that looking good will make us
      desirable.
      Sometimes we even convince ourselves that we can win followers for God by making
      ourselves attractive to the world. But the Bible is clear about what’s
      really important to God. He wants us to look like Jesus in our
      character. In a sense, Jesus is our “brand,” for we are being conformed
      to His image (Rom. 8:29). We attract others to Christ when we put on His attributes, which include tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering (Col. 3:12), and, above all, love (v.14).
      Instead of polishing and protecting our own image, we need to be guarding and
      reflecting the image of God, which is being perfected in us through
      Christ. —Julie Ackerman Link
      O to be like Thee! blessed Redeemer,
      This is my constant longing and prayer;
      Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
      Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear. —Chisholm
      One of the Spirit’s roles is to form the likeness of Christ in us.