Bible Study on the Book of Revelations

  • Shibu Mathew
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2013
      Dear Brethren,

      You might have noticed that very rarely our churches talk about the book of Revelations. Indeed Satan put his efforts to discourage people from learning 2 books in the Holy Bible (i) Book of Genesis (ii) Book of Revelations.

      Genesis reveals his cheating on the mankind and Revelations reveals
      his destiny. In particular, the revelations might have got the lowest
      reading level. Because, the prophetic language is very hard to understand and most of the church leaders and evangelists doesn't encourage common people to read and understand it.

      I had couple of good readings about the explanations about the
      'Revelations', mostly from non-apostolic church authors and leaders. More or less it makes sense and are very close to the reality, I feel.

      I have 2 questions

      (i) Is there any proper explanation about the book of 'Revelations'
      (Chapter 1 through 22) in our Syrian Orthodox church

      (ii) If not, what could be the reason?

      As a footnote, let me add the verse " Blessed is he that *readeth*, and they that *hear *the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." (Chapter 1:3)

      It means, those who reads and those who hear this prophecy are *Blessed. *
      Then why we are not following it???????

      Best Regards,

      Shibu MATHEW
      ID number 4595
    • dhinuus
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16, 2013
        Dear Sibu Mathew,

        You are absolutely right. We don't have many Bible commentaries or sermons about the Book of Revelation from our Church fathers in the Syriac tradition. Actually there is no reading from the Book of Revelation in our lectionary. There is a reason for this.

        Though our Church has not given official sanction to any particular version or translation of the scripture; you know that the Peshitta Syriac version enjoys the status of 'Queen of versions' in the Syriac tradition.

        In the Peshitta New testament the last 5 books of the New Testament that you find in modern Bibles are just not found. The books that are not part of the original Peshitta NT are:

        - Second Epistle of Peter
        - Second Epistle of John
        - Third Epistle of John
        - Jude
        - Revelation

        These five books were later translated from Greek and added to the Syriac New Testament only around the 7th century.

        Now coming to Bible Study on Revelations and relying on non-apostolic evangelical protestant preachers... It is very dangerous. Please don't do that. A lot of them mis-interpret the Book of Revelations and teach a heresy they call as the "Rapture". There are lot of books and even a movie made "Left Behind" supporting this heretical teaching of "Rapture". They say that there will be an earthly kingdom of Christ on earth for 1000 years etc. This kind of teaching is not new. This is called Chiliasm and has been condemned as heresy by the Holy Orthodox Church.

        The below is a short article on this topic.
        https://sites.google.com/site/syrianorthodox/home/articles/rapture

        It also has links to some excellent articles written by Eastern Orthodox fathers on this topic.

        Mathew G M
        0929

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Shibu Mathew <shibmat@...> wrote:

        > Dear Brethren,
        >
        > You might have noticed that very rarely our churches talk about the book of Revelations. Indeed Satan put his efforts to discourage people from learning 2 books in the Holy Bible (i) Book of Genesis (ii) Book of Revelations.
        >
        > Genesis reveals his cheating on the mankind and Revelations reveals
        > his destiny. In particular, the revelations might have got the lowest
        > reading level. Because, the prophetic language is very hard to understand and most of the church leaders and evangelists doesn't encourage common people to read and understand it.
        >
        > I had couple of good readings about the explanations about the
        > 'Revelations', mostly from non-apostolic church authors and leaders. More or less it makes sense and are very close to the reality, I feel.
        >
        > I have 2 questions
        >
        > (i) Is there any proper explanation about the book of 'Revelations'
        > (Chapter 1 through 22) in our Syrian Orthodox church
        >
        > (ii) If not, what could be the reason?
        >
        > As a footnote, let me add the verse " Blessed is he that *readeth*, and they that *hear *the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." (Chapter 1:3)
        >
        > It means, those who reads and those who hear this prophecy are *Blessed. *
        > Then why we are not following it???????
        >
        > Best Regards,
        >
        > Shibu MATHEW
        > ID number 4595
      • Jose Daniel
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 17, 2013
          About the book of Revelations.

          We have a book on the commentary of the book of Revelations composed by St. Bar Sleebi. I am not sure about a translation of the same is available or not. I guess a copy printed in Syriac is available in Manjinikkara Dayara.

          Thanks Jose Achan.

          --
          Thank You

          Rev. Fr. Jose Daniel Paitel