Our Daily Bread: No Fine Print

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2013
      READ: Deuteronomy 30:11-20

      For this commandment which I command you today is not too mysterious for you, nor is it far off. —Deuteronomy 30:11

      Writing in the Wall Street Journal, Missy Sullivan noted that many user agreements, warranties, and
      disclaimers that come with products are nearly unreadable. Intentionally set in very small type, they actually discourage people from
      understanding them. Because of this, many people don’t read all the
      terms of contracts before signing them. A university professor of
      graphic communication pointed to a 32-page user agreement that came with his new smartphone, and said of the company, “They don’t want you to
      read it.”
      In contrast, the Lord is always seeking to communicate with His people in
      clear and compelling ways, with no attempt to confuse or deceive. When
      Moses spoke to the Israelites just before they entered the Promised
      Land, he said, “For this commandment which I command you today is not
      too mysterious for you, nor is it far off. . . . I have set before you
      life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both
      you and your descendants may live” (Deut. 30:11,19).
      The Lord wants us to understand His plan and purpose clearly, so that we
      may love, obey, and cling to Him—for He is our “life and the length of
      [our] days” (v.20). That’s plain to see. —David McCasland
      Father, we want to learn and experience more of who
      You are in our relationship with You. Teach us so that
      we will grow in our understanding of You and
      Your plan for our lives.
      There is no fine print in God’s communication with us.