Malankara World Journal Issue 137 - Focus: Doubting Thomas - (Apr 11, 2013)

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2013
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 137 - Focus: Jesus Appears to
      Disciples and Thomas - (Apr 11, 2013) is available online at:

      *TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 137*
      Jesus Appears to Disciples and Thomas

      1. Foreword: "Thomas"

      It is interesting that the story that gives Thomas his infamous
      nickname, is the same story that has Thomas making an earth shattering
      confession of faith. Look at his confession, "My Lord, and my God." Not
      teacher. Not Lord. Not Messiah. But God! It is the only place where
      Jesus is called God without qualification of any kind. It is uttered
      with conviction.

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (Apr 14)

      First Sunday after New Sunday

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (Apr 14)

      Sermons for the First Sunday After New Sunday

      4. Prayer

      5. Featured: Easter: Post Partum

      Can Easter change your daily life? I believe it can. Let's look at a few
      Bible characters we can emulate. Thomas, the skeptic, wanted proof:
      rock-solid evidence. Jesus, in His compassion, gave him just that. ...

      6. The Presence of Our Lord Jesus Christ - A Biblical Reflection

      In the new age of resurrection the Lord Jesus Christ is now to be found
      in the mission of the Church which has the power of God's Spirit to
      proclaim the Kingdom, to cast out evil and to heal the broken-hearted.
      In the quietness of personal prayer, the believer discovers that the
      Lord is present within the privacy of one's own heart. The believer "has
      life through His name" (Jn 20:31). ...

      7. Believing Without Seeing vs. Come And See - Reflection

      Like Thomas, Christ calls us to fill the holes left by the instruments
      of the passion in His Body with our own hands so that our lives and the
      verbal witness that we give proclaim His Resurrection. Our senses could
      betray us, but we know that we have met the Risen One and we have
      recognized Him! ...

      8. Believe In Order to See

      For Thomas, seeing was believing. For us, however, the opposite is true
      - believing is seeing. Barring those saints who have been gifted with
      ecclesiastically approved apparitions, none of us have seen Jesus in a
      physically recognizable form. ..

      9. Peace be with you

      Peace of conscience is the most authentic form of happiness. It helps us
      to be strong in adversity; it upholds the nobility and freedom of the
      person, even in the direst situations; it remains our lifeline, that is
      to say our hope... when despair would have the upper hand... This
      matchless gift of interior peace is the Risen One's first gift: he
      immediately instituted ... the sacrament able to bestow this peace, the
      sacrament of forgiveness, that forgiveness which raises us up (Jn
      20,23). ...

      10. Breakthrough: A Biblical Reflection on John 20:19-31

      We need faith to persevere when we cannot see our goal or to be patient
      when we cannot see any results; we need faith to make decisions when we
      have little evidence to go on or to pray when we're not sure if anyone
      is listening, let alone speaking to us. ...

      11. When You Are Beset with Worry and Fear: A New Pattern of Thought

      The world's patterns of thought tell us our worth is measured by our
      weight or bank account, our job or spouse, by the number of our friends,
      or if we are able to have children. And if we do have children, the
      world tells us we're only good parents if our children behave 'just so.' ...

      12. Health: Tips for Avoiding Infection

      "Hospital-acquired infections are the most common complication of a
      hospital stay, affecting nearly 2 million Americans a year and killing
      nearly 100,000," according to the Centers for Disease Control. ...

      13. Recipe: Agua Fresca

      A quick healthy and refreshing drink for a summertime party!

      14. A Lesson From Abraham Lincoln on Persuasion

      The 16th U.S. President, Abraham Lincoln, was one of the best when it
      came to mastering the art of positive persuasion - what I often refer to
      as, Winning Without Intimidation. He knew how to make friends out of
      enemies, and keep conflict to a minimum. ...

      15. Family Special: Preparing Your Teen for Challenges

      Parents today contend not only with yesterday's worries -- drug abuse,
      bullying, teenage sex and delinquency - but new challenges. The digital
      age has introduced adult predators and other online hazards ...

      16. Humor: Watch and You'll See

      17. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World
      Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew