Our Daily Bread:No Substitute Needed

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2013
      READ: Psalm 139:1-12

      Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? —Psalm 139:7

      While I was visiting my son in San Diego, we decided to go to Shadow Mountain Church to hear Dr. David Jeremiah preach. Steve and I got up early on
      Sunday morning and took the hour-long drive to the church. But our
      anticipation turned to disappointment when we discovered that Dr.
      Jeremiah was not there that day. “Some other guy”—a substitute—was
      preaching.
      A couple of weeks later, I was scheduled to preach at the church in Grand Rapids where my wife and I attend. As I stood in front of the
      congregation, I realized that now I was “some other guy” and they might
      be disappointed because they had come to hear our pastor—not me—speak.
      While we find comfort in the familiarity of those we depend on in life, we
      have to recognize that at times they can be substituted. But the One we
      need most—the One on whom we depend for life itself—is always present
      (Ps. 139:7-8). When we desire to enter God’s presence in prayer, He is
      always there: “Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry
      aloud, and He shall hear my voice” (55:17).
      Looking for God? He’s always right there. No substitute needed. —Dave Branon
      Dear Lord, I am so thankful that You are always present.
      I never need to make an appointment to speak to You,
      the God of the universe. No matter where I go or what
      time it is, I can depend on Your presence.
      When you come to the Lord, there is no waiting line—His ears are always open to your cry.