Our Daily Bread: You Can Beat It

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2013
      READ: Matthew 28:1-10

      O Death, where is your sting? —1 Corinthians 15:55

      The radio ad for an upcoming seminar sounded intriguing. The announcer
      said, “You can beat death—for good! Attend my seminar and I’ll show you
      how.” I wondered for a few moments what the speaker would claim could
      beat death and what his suggestions might be. Perhaps something about
      diet or exercise or freezing our bodies? After listening a little
      longer, though, I realized he had said, “You can beat debt—for good.”
      The most wonderful news is that we can beat death because Jesus paid our debt! (1 Cor. 15:55-57). Our debt of
      sin meant separation from God, but Jesus willingly gave up His life and
      was crucified on a cross to pay what we owed. As Mary Magdalene and
      another Mary went to the tomb on the third day to anoint His body, an
      angel told them: “He is not here; for He is risen, as He said” (Matt.
      28:6). With great joy they ran to bring His disciples the word. On their way, Jesus met them and said, “Rejoice!” (v.9). Jesus had risen, and
      His followers had reason for rejoicing.
      Jesus has removed the sting of death (1 Cor. 15:55). Now we too have victory
      by believing in the Son of God’s death and resurrection for us. Through
      Jesus’ perfect work, we can beat death—for good! —Anne Cetas
      Dear Lord, thank You for sacrificing Your life for our
      sins so that we might live. We’re thankful that because
      You died and rose again, we can have assurance that
      one day we’ll be with You in a place of no more death.
      We owed a debt we couldn’t pay; Jesus paid a debt He didn’t owe.