Our Daily Bread: Out of Context

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27 5:33 PM

      Your Word is truth. —John 17:17

      When a friend started making random despairing statements, people were concerned for him and started giving advice and offering encouragement. As it turned out, he was simply having fun by quoting song lyrics out of context to start a conversation. Friends who tried to help wasted their time by offering help he didn’t need and advice he didn’t want. The consequences of my friend’s misleading statements were not serious, but they could have been. In taking time to respond to his false need, someone could have neglected someone else’s truly serious need.
      Some people who take words out of context just want to gain attention or win an argument. But others are more sinister. They twist truth to gain power over others. They endanger not only lives but also souls.
      When people use words to manipulate others to behave in certain ways—or worse, when they quote the Bible out of context to convince others to do wrong—there’s only one defense: We need to know what God truly says in His Word. Jesus was able to resist temptation with the truth (Luke 4). We have the same resource. God has given us His Word and Spirit to guide us and keep us from being deceived or misled. —Julie Ackerman Link
      Your words of pure, eternal truth
      Shall yet unshaken stay,
      When all that man has thought or planned
      Like chaff shall pass away. —Anon.
      If we hold on to God’s truth, we won’t be trapped by Satan’s lies.