Our Daily Bread: Our Father's World

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26 6:50 PM
      READ: Genesis 1:26-28

      The earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell therein. —Psalm 24:1

      When Amanda Benavides was a sophomore at Point Loma Nazarene University in
      San Diego, California, she began to rethink her views on Christian
      stewardship of the earth. Amanda had grown up thinking that being
      conscious of the environment had nothing to do with her relationship
      with Jesus. All this changed when she was challenged to consider the
      Christian’s role in caring for the planet—especially how that relates to reaching the most needy in the world.
      Our stewardship of the beautiful world God gave us, and our care for the
      people in it, express our reverence for God and is grounded in two
      biblical principles.
      First, the earth belongs to God (Ps. 24:1-2). The psalmist praised the Lord
      for His creation and His ownership of it. The heavens, the earth, and
      all that are in it are His. He created it, He is sovereign over it
      (93:1-2), and He cares for it (Matt. 6:26-30). Second, God delegated the responsibility for the well-being of His earth to us (Gen. 1:26-28).
      This includes appreciation of and care for both nature (Lev. 25:2-5,11;
      Prov. 12:10) and people (Rom. 15:2).
      This is our Father’s world. Let’s show Him how much we love Him by
      respecting it and caring for the people who populate it. —Marvin
      Williams
      The natural world that God has made
      Must not be used at whim;
      We serve as stewards of His earth,
      Responsible to Him. —D. DeHaan
      To mistreat God’s creation is to offend the Creator.