Our faith according to St. Severus

  • Thomas P
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2003
      I am writing this so that every one in our Church,
      both Orthodox and Jacobites, read this and reject any
      teaching that is against the teaching of Patriarch St.
      Severus. Then, the immediate thing to do is to unite
      on the basis of this faith.

      "That a church is a confession of right faith no one
      who is reckoned among Christians and has understanding
      doubts, since the Lord plainly said in the Gospels to
      the divine Peter, the first of the apostles, when he
      made the confession, Thou art Christ, the Son of the
      living God, Thou art Cephas, and upon this rock will I
      build my church, and the gates of Sheol shall not
      prevail against it; and he called the firmness and
      fixity of such a confession a rock. And, as speech
      knows a right and sound opinion on faith as a church,
      so it also knows the believers who confess it as a
      church." [St. Severus, Letter to the Holy Convents of
      Virgins of Christ]

      In Orthodox church Peter along with Paul is honored
      are firsts among Apostles. Peter, as the elder among
      them and Paul, because of his hardwork for the Church.
      But the Church does not use this as an opportunity to
      bring local churches under single administration.
      Regarding administration, Apostolic Canons (Canon
      Slihe) mandates the unity of the church, the bishops
      in "each Nation" under one head bishop.

      Few things to notice from the words of St. Severus:

      - that "a Church is a confession of right faith"

      - that "He called the firmness and fixity of such a
      confession a rock"

      - that "as speech knows a right and sound opinion on
      faith as a Church, so it also knows the believers who
      confess it as a Church."

      In clear words St. Severus teaches that the "firmness
      and fixity of confession" is the Rock.

      Based on this, those who teach that the person of
      Peter is the Rock is teaching a wrong faith, a faith
      different from St. Severus.

      Pope Shenouda also explains that the faith of
      confession is the Rock upon which the Church is found.

      Thomas P
    • Aji Thomas David
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2003
        Dear sister susan

        Thanks for the new thread

        Nisha Sharma had her 15 seconds of fame!
        In India she can extend that to 15 years or even more.
        As long as there are are arranged marriages dowry has to be
        part of it.

        In Muslim community they give money to the girl's family.

        For Hindus and Christians who have arranged marriages, the dowry
        system works like this:

        For no dowry, one can find a bum for their daughter - he may even
        live in the bride's house.

        For one lakh rupees you can probably find a daily laborer
        For 10 lakh rupees you can find a white collar employee.
        For 25 lakh rupees you can find a professional.
        For 1 crore rupees you can find an IAS officer - or more.
        SO GET OVER WITH IT.

        In Christ
        Aji Thomas David