Our Daily Bread: Too Heavy

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2013
      READ: Psalm 32:1-6; Matthew 11:28-30

      Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. —Matthew 11:28

      As I started up my car in the dark hours of early morning, I noticed a
      seatbelt light on the dashboard. I checked my door, opening and pulling
      it shut again. I tugged on my seatbelt to test it. But the sensor light
      still beamed. Then, in slow realization, I reached over and lifted my
      purse a few inches above the passenger seat. The light clicked off.
      Apparently, a cell phone, three rolls of quarters, a hardcover book, and my lunch
      stuffed in my very large purse had equaled the weight of a small
      passenger, thus setting off the sensor!
      While I can easily empty out a handbag, other weights are not so easy to
      shed. Those burdens of life involve a heaviness of spirit.
      Whether the burden that weighs us down is one of guilt such as the one that
      consumed David’s thoughts (Ps. 32:1-6), the fear Peter experienced
      (Matt. 26:20-35), or the doubt Thomas carried (John 20:24-29), Jesus has invited us to bring them all to Him: “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Matt. 11:28).
      We are not built to bear burdens alone. When we cast them on the One who
      wants to bear our burdens (Ps. 68:19; 1 Peter 5:7), He replaces them
      with forgiveness, healing, and restoration. No burden is too heavy for
      Him. —Cindy Hess Kasper
      Lord, thank You for lovingly carrying our burdens.
      In times of trouble, help us to leave those burdens
      in Your strong hands and to find our rest in You.
      In Jesus’ name, amen.
      Burden God with what burdens you.