Our Daily Bread: Thoughts on Rain

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2013
      READ: Matthew 5:38-48

      He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. —Matthew 5:45

      When torrential downpours beat on the heads of my newly planted petunias, I
      felt bad for them. I wanted to bring them inside to shelter them from
      the storm. By the time the rain stopped, their little faces were bowed
      to the ground from the weight of the water. They looked sad and weak.
      Within a few hours, however, they perked up and turned their heads
      skyward. By the next day, they were standing straight and strong.
      What a transformation! After pounding them on the head, the rain dripped
      from their leaves, soaked into the soil, and came up through their
      stalks, giving them the strength to stand straight.
      Because I prefer sunshine, I get annoyed when rain spoils my outdoor plans. I
      sometimes wrongly think of rain as something negative. But anyone who
      has experienced drought knows that rain is a blessing. It nourishes the
      earth for the benefit of both the just and the unjust (Matt. 5:45).
      Even when the storms of life hit so hard that we nearly break from the
      force, the “rain” is not an enemy. Our loving God has allowed it to make us stronger. He uses the water that batters us on the outside to build
      us up on the inside, so we may stand straight and strong. —Julie
      Ackerman Link
      Lord, we know that we don’t need to fear the storms
      of life. Because You are good, we can trust You
      to use even our hard times to build our faith in You.
      We lean on You now.
      The storms that threaten to destroy us God will use to strengthen us.