Our Daily Bread ; First Things First

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2013
      READ: 1 Chronicles 28:5-10

      Know the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind. —1 Chronicles 28:9

      When our granddaughter Sarah was very young, she told us she wanted to be a
      basketball coach like her daddy when she grew up. But she couldn’t be
      one yet, she said, because first she had to be a player; and a player
      has to be able to tie her shoelaces, and she couldn’t tie hers yet!
      First things first, we say. And the first thing in all of life is to know God and enjoy Him.
      Acknowledging and knowing God helps us to become what we were meant to be. Here is
      King David’s counsel to his son Solomon: “Know the God of your father,
      and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind” (1 Chron.
      28:9).
      Remember, God can be known. He is a Person, not a logical or theological concept. He thinks, wills, enjoys, feels, loves, and desires as any person does. A. W. Tozer writes, “He is a person and can be known in increasing
      degrees of intimacy as we prepare our hearts for the wonder of it.” Ah,
      there’s the rub: We must “prepare our hearts.”
      The Lord is not playing hard to know; those who want to know Him can. He
      will not foist His love on us, but He does wait patiently, for He wants
      to be known by you. Knowing Him is the first thing in life. —David Roper
      He walks with me, and He talks with me,
      And He tells me I am His own;
      And the joys we share as we tarry there
      None other has ever known.
      —C. Austin Miles © Renewal 1940. The Rodeheaver Company
      The thought of God staggers the mind but to know Him satisfies the heart.