Our Daily Bread: Can't Do Everything

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2013
      READ: Galatians 6:1-10

      Let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. —Galatians 6:4

      Four-year-old Eliana was helping her mom pick up some of Eliana’s things before
      bedtime. When Mommy told her to put away the clothes on her bed, Eliana
      hit her limit. She turned around, put her little hands on her hips, and
      said, “I can’t do everything!”
      Do you ever feel that way with the tasks God has called you to do? It’s
      easy to feel overwhelmed with church involvement, witnessing, and
      raising a family. We might sigh in exasperation and pray, “Lord, I can’t do everything!”
      Yet God’s instructions indicate that His expectations are not overwhelming. For instance, as we deal with others, He gives us this qualifier: “As
      much as depends on you, live peaceably with all” (Rom. 12:18). God
      understands our limitations. Or this: “Whatever you do, do it heartily,
      as to the Lord” (Col. 3:23). He’s not asking for perfection that we
      might impress people, but simply to honor Him with the work we do. And
      one more: “Let each one examine his own work, and then he will have
      rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another” (Gal. 6:4). We are not
      doing our work as a competition with others, but simply to carry our own load.
      In wisdom, God has equipped us to do just what He wants us to do—and that’s certainly not everything! —Dave Branon
      He gives me work that I may seek His rest,
      He gives me strength to meet the hardest test;
      And as I walk in providential grace,
      I find that joy goes with me, at God’s pace. —Gustafson
      When God gives an assignment, it comes with His enablement.