Our Daily Bread: Broken Bones

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2013
      READ: Psalm 51:1-13

      Make me hear joy and gladness, that the bones You have broken may rejoice. —Psalm 51:8

      Years ago, I played collegiate soccer as a goalkeeper. It was more fun than I can describe here, but all that fun came at a hefty price—one I
      continue to pay today. Being a goalie means that you are constantly
      throwing your body into harm’s way to prevent the other team from
      scoring, often resulting in injuries. During the course of one season, I suffered a broken leg, several cracked ribs, a separated shoulder, and a concussion! Today, especially on cold days, I am visited by painful
      reminders of those broken bones.
      David also had reminders of broken bones, but his injuries were spiritual,
      not physical. After David’s moral collapse involving an affair with
      Bathsheba and the murder of her husband, God firmly disciplined him. But then David turned to Him in repentance and prayed, “Make me hear joy
      and gladness, that the bones You have broken may rejoice” (Ps. 51:8).
      God’s chastening was so crushing that David felt like his bones were broken.
      Yet he trusted that the God of grace could both repair his brokenness
      and rekindle his joy. In our own failure and sin, it’s a comfort to know that God loves us enough to pursue and restore us with His loving
      discipline. —Bill Crowder
      Father, open my eyes to see my failings, open my heart
      to receive Your discipline, and open my will to embrace
      Your loving purposes. When I fall, I pray that You will
      make me whole and restore my joy in You.
      God’s hand of discipline is a hand of love.