Our Daily Bread: Black Boxes

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14 2:49 AM
      READ: 1 Corinthians 10:1-11

      These things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition. —1 Corinthians 10:11

      Commercial aircraft carry two flight-data recorders called “black boxes.” One logs the performance and condition of the aircraft in flight, and the other
      records the conversation of the crew with air-traffic controllers on the ground. These boxes are insulated to protect against extreme
      temperatures and are fitted with underwater locator beacons that emit
      sounds to the surface. After an airplane crash, these boxes are
      retrieved and the data carefully analyzed to determine the cause of the
      crash. Air safety experts want to learn from past mistakes, among other
      things, so they won’t be repeated.
      As Christians, we too should look at mistakes from the past and learn from them. Paul, for example, alluded to some of the mistakes the Israelites made in their journey from Egypt to Canaan. He wrote that because God
      was not pleased with them, many died in the wilderness (1 Cor. 10:5).
      Paul went on to explain that “these things happened to them as examples
      for us. They were written down to warn us who live at the end of the
      age” (v.11 nlt).
      The inspired Word of God is written for our instruction for living (2 Tim.
      3:16-17). Thank You, Lord, for the guidance of Your Word. —C. P. Hia
      For Your holy Book we thank You;
      May its message be our guide,
      May we understand the wisdom
      Of the truth Your laws provide. —Carter
      God’s warnings are to protect us, not to punish us.