Re: Do we curse Jews during Good Friday Service? (Part III)

  • Cherian Jacob
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 12, 2013
      Dear Dr. Sinu P John

      We really appreciate your passion and commitment for educating our members
      on various subjects in bible and in our litergy people are confused. But
      the point is, what is the end result we need to produce? If, there are
      translation mistakes, this is the time to correct and move on. When we
      don't know what we are speaking, no one bothers, but when people relate and
      interpret the meaning, it is creating this negative impact. Christians'
      standing for freedom, justice and peace, so some of the hymns are not in
      line with their interpretation, and their commitment. So unless we see
      action from our church hierarchy, and make a change, these questions will
      pop again and again.

      Our young generations are living in this digital age, they will go and look
      for meaning for everthing we teach them, so it is very inportant to take
      actions in line with our beliefs. I really wish to see a drastic change to
      the text where we have all these contraversies. it is just creating a noice
      and explanation after explanation, just to prove that everything is perfect.

      Is this is what we are commited to our church and society? We have a lot to
      offer, all those possibilities are getting diluted when we are not able to
      deal with reality. If we are committed to church, our society and world
      peace, this is the time we need to re-cosider a change. Perumpallil
      Thirumay put lot of effort to make a difference in our litergy and hymns,
      it is so important that we continue doing this change, so that people will
      be able to appreciate our service, when they are participating, to worship
      our lord.

      Thank you

      Regards
      Cherian Jacob
      St.Peter's Syrian Orthadox Church
      Phoenix AZ USA
      0951
    • Benny - ZSS
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 13, 2013
        Dear All.

        Please let us look in to verses of Hebrew 12, where we need to
        understand that we need to look in to Jesus Christ only. If this is
        the case, Just look in to Jesus Christ in cross with such an agony

        Forgive those who were against him..

        God is love only, in his mercy we are living..

        We live for Chirst and die for Christ, there is no room for cursing any other person/persons.

        Best regards
        Benny
        ID 4190
      • Sinu
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 13, 2013
          Dear Brother in Jesus Christ,

          Thank you for your kind words. I believe most of these questions are formed, not because off translational errors, but because of the misunderstanding/misinterpretation of the songs. So need clarification or explanation most of the time. However, I do agree that often translational mistakes also add to the confusions.

          I think our church authorities are putting some effort in improving the service books recently. Recent books from M.S.O.T Seminary published are much improved versions compared to those in circulations back in 1970-1980s. But there are still mistakes which need to be rectified.

          Thanks to the initiatives and work by Dr. Thomas Joseph and Titus thirumeni, the American archdiocese is preparing a service book for Sunday service in English, which is currently under revision. I happened to see a draft. It is a very good work with many commentaries and explanations included and will be a good resource for all the English speaking members around the world when published.

          I agree with you that similar texts for other services, including Good Friday, with commentaries will be helpful for the people. Let us hope and pray that our church authorities take initiatives to produce more such valuable books in the future. However, I believe that we, as laity, also have the responsibility to seek the truth when some one questions our practices and faith.

          Prayers,

          Sinu P. John, PhD
          Bethesda, MD, USA
          Member ID:0076